Do Cleaner Shrimp = Dinner?

cam78

Bought a cleaner shrimp a few days ago. It was pretty stationary for the first day or so. Next thing I know it climbs under some rock and hides. I give it its time to adjust to the tank. I wait, and wait...and wait. So I give up and lift the rock where I think it is. Not there appeares to be remains of it. Convict goby, B/G damsels and a Pajama blennie. I don't see any other remains from it so there is a possibility it is under some other rocks but I really can't move all these. Should I be concerned about ammonia if it did die? Did these other fish eat it? If anything I think it was in the same hole this convict was saying. Could he be the perp?

cam78

I really don't know. Where the hell would this thing be then? Its got to be gone. I mean nowhere to be found, usually you would see it somewhere at some point. It would come out to feed at least. I even check at night in the dark to see if it could be lurking around. NOTTA! :thinking:

sepulatian

Cleaner shrimp often molt shortly after going into a new tank. Do your rocks have holes in them (LR right)? They hide for about 2-3 days while their new shell hardens. The fish you have would not have eaten him.

cam78

What if it dies under, yes my LR? Do I have to be concerned with ammonia? its a 46 gal.?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by CAM78
What if it dies under, yes my LR? Do I have to be concerned with ammonia? its a 46 gal.?
How did you acclimate this shrimp and what are your water parameters (these things will give me an indicater if he is going to live or not, that's why I ask) ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, temp, salinity?

X

xnikki118x

I would assume it just molted. If you don't see it within 3 or 4 days, assume it died. In the meantime, just keep an eye on your ammonia just in case.

cam78

My levels are off today, usually perfect, checked 2 days ago. PH is 7.8
DK: 5-6
Cal. 320
Ates: 0
Salinity: 1.027

nick76

Mine will hide for a day after molting, but usually he cruises around all the time. Reciently im having trouble finding 2 of me 3 peppermint shrimp so I feel ya lol. If they die in a reef tank, chances are you will never find the speciman.

payton 350

i had a peppermint molt which i had originally thought he was dead ....didn;t see him for 3 months and assumed he was gone ...then one day he just pops up from behind a rock about 2-3 times his original size

cam78

WOW! crazy. I really think mine is dead, only a 46 gallon. Think I would have seen him. We'll see.

payton 350

did his "molt" look like a clear plastic or did it look like a meaty store type shrimp....pinkish in color maybe

cam78

I think it was more meaty, and yes I checked at night, nothing. i do believe he is "sleeping with the fish."

demartini

Mine also mysteriously disappeared! I think mine may have died in the back and then my clean up crew went after it. I just remeber thinking one day that I haven't seen him in a while... my tank is only 14 gallons, so I don't know.