Do emerald crabs molt?

jrpage

Will the molt look exactly like the crab or will it be pretty obvious that it's a molt ?( ie a pep shrimp molt)

karajay

I'm still trying to decide if mine molted or died. :notsure:
I saw an empty molt one morning, with legs and claws still attached. I expected the crab to hide after molting, but I haven't seen it in a few weeks now. I'm beginning to think I saw a corpse instead of a molt.
:confused:

joe carey

If you held on to the molt, you should be able to open it at the back like a clam shell. They do tend to hide for a short period of time after they molt.

elfdoctors

The molts look exactly like a crab - they even still have their hairy legs. They molt much less frequently then shrimp do. There is usually an apparent difference in size as they seem to have a growth spurt with molting. I can't see a similar change in size with my shrimp.
I found the outer opening of the molt is actually in the front of the bottom section of the carapace. This piece hinges backwards and then there is an opening in the rear through which the crab slides out.
The molts dry out nicely. You can keep them if your wish to show your friends.

jrpage

Kara....pretty much the same has happened to me. I pulled out the "molt" in question and it smelled fine. Looked so much like the crab that I'm not holding out much hope for seeing Big Ben again. He was a pretty big emerald. I was sorta attached to him after he helped rid me of bubble algae

So I will keep a flame of hope to see him soon and let you guys know what happens.
Carole & Elfdoc. - We actually took the molt of our SLF crab to school.
Funny the things we think are normal after having become "salt" addicts:D
Thanks for ALL the responses - I'm so glad you guys are around:joy:
Rhonda

jrpage

Originally posted by MaroonClownFan
Heres a pic for ya!

GEt out! That pic is too cool!!!!!!! Thanks! I haven't seen Big Ben yet but still looking!

rockies

I experienced the same thing with one of my Emeralds. I examined the "dead crab" a lot and finally resigned myself to its demise. A few days later I saw both of my Emeralds and just laughed at myself.
The Emerald molt appeared to me to be very 'fleshy' compared to my Peppermint Shrimp molts.

rbmount

Originally posted by waterfaller1
Yes,hello? What are you up to today?Oh I just thought you would like to come hang out,and look at my crab molts!:hilarious

That sounds like a new pickup line! I might have to try that!
Waterfaller, you the bestest!

jrpage

Stop! I am sooo getting my hopes up that he's okay:rolleyes:
HE was doing just great and was really pretty active for his size and well, being an emerald crab and all.
Here's hoping!!!! *fingers crossed, big smile*