Do fish feel pain

denniss

I have always wondered if fish feel pain. I have heard that cold blodded amimals dont. Is this true?

cnlight

I remember hearing on the news that some scientists did a study about that. They tested for brain waves of pain when a fish has a hook in its mouth. What they found was that they didn't have the same brain function as pain, but more of fright then anything else. So to their conclusion, No fish do not feel pain. But I am sure others would differ.

harlequin

They did a study in England about this. I know the test involved hot objects so this wasnt the hook project but the evidence was that yes fish felt pain.

S

sebae0

imo anything with a brain can feel pain, it just involves how evolved the brain is to experience it. humans know it all to well but pain to an animal might be fear, let me put a hook thru your lip and see what you do. my first reaction would be to turn and run and also curse, but thats just me. by the way i'm an advid fisherman.

buzz

Fish do not (to my knowledge) have the same kind of a central nervous system that mammals (most) have. As such, it stands to reason that they don't have as many nerve endings or pain receptors. Their main nervous system is their lateral line.

I've thought about if fish can feel pain before and just assumed that they did, but interesting about the fear thing. I often also wonder if fish ever get thirsty