Do fish really jump out of the tank???

1knight164

While perusing for fish on this site for my tank, I read that some of the fish have a tendency to jump out of the tank. Has that happened to anyone? If so, is there a way to keep them in without using a glass tank cover?

fishguy56

I actually saw one of my fish jump out of the tank change the TV remote to another station and then jump back in the tank.
Thanks,
FG

doglvr

I've had a clown and a scooter blenny jump out of the tank. Both did this when I was not home so they both perished.

bkvreef

I had an ocellaris jump out. I couldn't find him anywhere in the tank. Shen I got home from work I opened the canopy and realized he was just trying to catch some rays (which by the way is difficult in Ohio in the winter).

greenwolf52

i had a green wolf that jumped out through a very small gap in the hood. it did not survive :( Had another that jumped out twice. luckily i was there both times to rescue it. since then have made some changes to hood in order to prevent this from happening.
actually. i have no more eels now so i just leave the tank uncovered. helps keep water in better shape.

puffer32

I have a wrasse who tries to commit suicide every day, luckily, he hits my lights and knocks his self senseless, you can hear the wack in the next room. One of my FF was not so lucky, he must have sqeezed between the lighting and jumped, he was missing for 3 weeks and we thought he was just hiding in the rocks, but we found his stiff carcass today

peter1215

i had a pink square anthia who kept jumping out. after about the forth leap he died a few days later . probably of numerous concusions.

1knight164

Originally Posted by fishguy56
I actually saw one of my fish jump out of the tank change the TV remote to another station and then jump back in the tank.
Thanks,
FG
Glad you told me. I better hide the remote! :hilarious
Wow. Didn't realize how common this is. So the question is, if you have a canopy, how do you keep them from jumping out? I've heard about the eggrate. Would screening material on the backside of the canopy work just as well?
My LMB, clown, or hawkfish haven't jumped, but I want to get a firefish and royal gamma.

bill109

Originally Posted by 1knight164
Glad you told me. I better hide the remote! :hilarious
Wow. Didn't realize how common this is. So the question is, if you have a canopy, how do you keep them from jumping out? I've heard about the eggrate. Would screening material on the backside of the canopy work just as well?
My LMB, clown, or hawkfish haven't jumped, but I want to get a firefish and royal gamma.
what about a glass top?

cannonman

I was missing a fish once.. didn't find it anywhere and then about two months later I found the cat playing with the dead, perfectly preserved, dried up corpse in the basement... :thinking:

bill109

Originally Posted by Cannonman
I was missing a fish once.. didn't find it anywhere and then about two months later I found the cat playing with the dead, perfectly preserved, dried up corpse in the basement... :thinking:
:thinking: you sure it wasnt a cat toy?

bellanavis

I just came downstairs from changing my sons diaper, and I heard this weird noise, and I looked around, and my huge foxface had jumped out and was on the ground, Ihad to quick get him back in the tank. Hes not lloking so good, so YES THEY DO JUMP OUT OF THE TANK!

shogun323

Originally Posted by BellaNavis
I just came downstairs from changing my sons diaper, and I heard this weird noise, and I looked around, and my huge foxface had jumped out and was on the ground, Ihad to quick get him back in the tank. Hes not lloking so good, so YES THEY DO JUMP OUT OF THE TANK!
Yikes!!! I hope he makes it ok!!!