Do humans eat coral?

nm reef

Not that I've ever heard of. Interesting question ... maybe there are species that humans put on the menu...:thinking:

elfdoctors

Coral calcium seems to be touted recently by certain health food junkies. They tout it as beneficial, especially for arthritis and osteoporosis. It also seems more trendy then the older oyster shell calcium.
As far as I have been able to find, there are not health benefits associated with coral calcium. In fact, like oyster shell calcium, it may be worse for you then plain old Tums because oysters and corals don't dissolve quickly; - the calcium is not available for absorption. Almost the entire supplement will just go through your feces.
I usually try to have an open mind about natural supplements but I also have to skeptical about results. Many people say that they feel better after a month of a particular supplement but they are no longer on it at the next visit. If they get psychological benefits from taking such things, I just let them spend their money.

Y

yae4volcom

I am pretty sure I have seen spongebob eat coral. :thinking:

fishman88

ahhh i love eating corals... my fav. would have to be frogspawns but then again when i eat the brain corals i do seem to get alittle smarter.... lol j/p
mike:happyfish

squidd

I found the Cabbage Leathers to be a little tough and chewy for a salad... and I never could get used to the Xenias pulsing away in my mouth and stomach...but the mushrooms are great sautéed in butter...and the Frog Spawn... well, I'll leave that for the French.

northshore

Yes, some people do eat corals. I have witnessed this in both the Hawaiian Islands and the Philippine Islands.