Do I have a mantis shrimp?

carrie1429

When I was feeding my fish I saw what looked like a small crawdad or lobster. It was greenish brown and about an inch long. Is this a mantis shrimp? If so how do I get it out? And how big do they get? Any help would be great.

carrie1429

I couldn't see very much of him, he just darted out of the LR so fast I could hardly see him. But from what I saw he has large claws. He isn't shy at all, now he just sticks his head out of the rock, he looks more of a light brown color. Can't really give too much detail. He just looks like a lobster, but with a flatter body.

nacl-h2o

Here is a pic, keep in mind the color varies.
<a href="http://www.blueboard.com/mantis/pics/full/hensigdc.jpg" target="_blank">Mantis Shrimp</a>
Is this your guy?
HTH

carrie1429

Yep, he looks exactly like the picture does. What do you do with mantis shrimp? They aren't safe for tanks that have fish, so where else do you put them?
I will try to remove it, but how much do you sell them for?
Sorry so many questions but I know nothing about mantis shrimp.

souljah

I dont know why anyone would want to buy a mantis shrimp...they kill fish 3 times there size, it can crack glass and acrylic (yes glass) I've seen it happen, dont dare put your hand near it..its punch will kill your finger or hand if not take it right off....these things are hazardous to aquariums, I cant figure out why anyone would possibly want one of these in their tanks..it does all harm and no good
by the way the idiots in my LFS are selling a mantis shrimp for $17.99
personally I would not take one of these if someone gave me one and payed me $17.99 to take it

musipilot

Mantis shrimp are kept by people in species only tanks. Its true they have the power to break glass, but it certainly doesn't happen that often. There would have to be a real special set of circumstances for it to do so, like an irresistable treat on the other side of the glass. Some people that keep them in small species only tanks love the little guys, and enjoy feeding and watching them. When I bought my last set of live rock, I found two, one about an inch, the other 3/4 of an inch. I posted about them, and someone on another board offered me 40 bucks for them! They came and picked them up that afternoon, it was amazing. One man's garbage...

keisersosei

I got a small mantis in a live rock shipment. He's now living in a 2 gallon $20 Wal-Mart tank. There is the standard crappy colored gravel, undergravel filter and fake plant along with a live rock in the tank. I don't remember the last time I checked the water parameters and I can barely see through the glass for all the algae. I recently added several snails from my reef and they cleaned it until they were slaughtered by the mantis. Mantis shrimp are fascinating creatures to watch and require almost no maintainance (as demonstrated by me). I would recommend setting up a small tank just to watch him. I wasn't sure I wanted to keep it but if something happens to it or I decide to sell it, I will use the 2 gallon for a nanoreef. It also makes a great story: "There's a certain shrimp that has the power of a .22 bullet, can break the glass of an aquarium, will crush a man's thumb in an instant, and can form thoughts and has a memory. I have one sitting on my desk at home."

dinhouse

Although I cant say I would bother getting a whole seperate tank to have one I can respect it as a animal. It is a killing machine! I would like to someday have one. Not to mention I have seen a hawiaiin matis and thay are just beautiful. They are a rich green and red! We live on earth and it is the only planet we have so all things especially living things should at the very least be respected!

carrie1429

Also do mantis shrimp bother bristle worms? In the same rock I have a few bristle worms and I thought they would bump into each other.
And I think I have two mantis shrimp. Is anyone interested in buying them?

jagnmeg99

Carrie, if you are going to sell them, post it on the trading forum---someone may want to take them off your hands there. (just a thought, in case someone is looking and doesn't get to this post) ;)