Do I have enough flow?

jpardi

I have a 55gal. tall. I have a koreilla(sp)#2 and a maxi-jet 900 and a 600. Is that enough flow for my tank?
Thanks

valgae

what kind of tank do you have FO, REEF? you want between 10-20 times flow in ur tank. so if u had a reef --- 55x20=1100gph less if not.

kellenr

Originally Posted by JPardi
http:///forum/post/2685359
I have a 55gal. tall. I have a koreilla(sp)#2 and a maxi-jet 900 and a 600. Is that enough flow for my tank?
Thanks
I would say closer to 20x turnover minimum, if not more, especially for a reef tank. Mine turns over about 26x hour.
The main thing is 'where' the flow is going is more important. You want to make sure that water is moving everywhere, not just spinning around in the front of your tank (i.e. behind the rockwork, across the sandbed, etc.). You can tell if you have everything aimed properly by watching where your flake food travels when you feed. Take a few large flakes next time you feed and clench them in your fist, dip your hand 1/2 way down under water, crunch the flake then open your hand. (If you don't already do it this way). Then watch the flake travel around in the flow. You want to make sure it stays suspended in the water column and travels around the whole tank. You should never see it 'touch down' and sit on the sandbed or on/behind any rocks. It should blow around at all different depths, move around behind the rockwork and then back out the other side and across the tank again. Anything that settles low you should see it glide through the water just above the sand.
The most common mistakes are 1: People don't aim powerheads behind and/or into their rockwork pile, and 2: People forget to point at least 1 toward the surface to break the top of the water. This is very important as it allows for good gas exchange. You should have a 'rippling' effect across the entire surface of the water. If it looks 'still' or if you can 'see' down underwater clearly, you probably should create more surface break.
Like I said, enough powerheads are required, but it's how you place them that really matters.
Good luck!

drtito

Originally Posted by KellenR
http:///forum/post/2685696
I would say closer to 20x turnover minimum, if not more, especially for a reef tank. Mine turns over about 26x hour.
The main thing is 'where' the flow is going is more important. You want to make sure that water is moving everywhere, not just spinning around in the front of your tank (i.e. behind the rockwork, across the sandbed, etc.). You can tell if you have everything aimed properly by watching where your flake food travels when you feed. Take a few large flakes next time you feed and clench them in your fist, dip your hand 1/2 way down under water, crunch the flake then open your hand. (If you don't already do it this way). Then watch the flake travel around in the flow. You want to make sure it stays suspended in the water column and travels around the whole tank. You should never see it 'touch down' and sit on the sandbed or on/behind any rocks. It should blow around at all different depths, move around behind the rockwork and then back out the other side and across the tank again. Anything that settles low you should see it glide through the water just above the sand.
The most common mistakes are 1: People don't aim powerheads behind and/or into their rockwork pile, and 2: People forget to point at least 1 toward the surface to break the top of the water. This is very important as it allows for good gas exchange. You should have a 'rippling' effect across the entire surface of the water. If it looks 'still' or if you can 'see' down underwater clearly, you probably should create more surface break.
Like I said, enough powerheads are required, but it's how you place them that really matters.
Good luck!
I did not know I had to have water movement on top that helps with the gas exchange. I guess it helps to read borads random questions..

netimreefer

I have a koralia #2, and 3 in my 55 and love it, I like them for the fact that you get a little more random water movement. Important to keep them clean though!