do i have enough light?

cody57

i have a 120 gal fowlr. the lights that came w/my top fin tank are (2) eclipse natural daylight f17/t8 24". i have abt 50 - 60lbs live rock in the tank and 20lbs of live sand on order. will these two bulbs be enough for the lr and sand? the bulbs are abt 50% thinner than most other bulbs.:confused:

hokedalredy

From what I have read, you don't need any lights for just lr. They are just for looks then. If you are going to get corals then you will need more lights.

michaeltx

thats it rock doesnt need light its the corals and all that good stuff that needs it Normal Output lights work for a fishonly system
Mike

cody57

i thought there would be some growth from them and i would need proper lighting to promote that growth(algae, dusters, etc.).

michaeltx

algae will grow (that bad stuff LOL) with NO lights but if you are wanting coraline algae it will need a brighter light and calcium levels and water stablility to grow(needs to be a reef setting even if you dont have corals)., the dusters are worms that live in a tube and what you see is part of there mouth so they dont need or require any light.
Mike

cody57

thanks for the info folks!! i guess i'll be ok for the algae, i wanted it for some of the fish i plan on adding. i was thinking of adding the light fixture from an old 55 gal tank i have and turn them on maybe half the time i run the main lights(14hrs). i was hoping some cool looking growth would develope. what does coralline(sp) growth look like?