Do I have enough lightt for a clam?

wartooth1

I'm just curious. I have no concrete plans for a clam any time soon but if I did decide to get a clam do I have enough light for it? Is a 40 gallon tank and there are roughly 18 inches from the water's surface to the sand bottom. For lights I have 2 12 inch Ecoexotic Panorama LED combo lights (the ones that are both white and blue). Plus I will be adding a pair of all blue LEDs from the same brand in the near future to make the glow of my corals pop out even more.
So I came to ask the experts... will the lights I have on at the moment be sufficent to support a clam and should I wait until I atleast add the all blue LEDs?
Thanks.

btldreef

The blues won't offer much for the clam. I'm assuming you have the 12led models with 8 white, 4 blue?
IMHO, it's not enough to support a clam long term.

I too am interested in getting a clam fairly soon. Im currently running a 48" t5 fixture with 2 10k's and 2 actinic bulbs. This is on a 75gal. Should this lighting be enough for a clam? Thanks

1guydude

+1 agreed with BTL...on the t5s it has to do with reflectors as well. You want the independent bulb reflectors! VVVV <---shaped as that!

btldreef

8 would more than likely do the job, especially if they're good bulbs (Geissman, Wavepoint [the actinics are good by them], ATI) 6 would be the minimum that I'd run with a clam.
Also depends on the clam. Your very super colored Maxima's are usually used to intense lighting, your drab colored Derasa's can get away with a little less.
Other factors such as the size of the clam should be considered. Small clams can't handle the sudden shock of bright light and should be started half way in the tank and gradually moved up. That being said, I don't recommend buying a clam under 3 inches, so this shouldn't be an issue. Keep in mind whether the clam is a rock boring clam or not. Maxima's like to be in the rock work, Derasa's like the sand.

wartooth1

Well I'm actually felling pretty good about getting a clam now. Not only does the LFS where I bought my 2 Ecoexotic LED strips from say I can do a clam with these... but yesterday I walked into a random LFS and saw a nice clam they were acclimating from the shipping box, the guy asked about my lighting. When I told them what I had for the size of my tank, his response was and I quote "Oh yeah you have more than enough light to keep your clam happy. The only thing you need to watch out for is to maintain a high calcium level," which for me is no problem... I've beem maintaining my calcium at a consistant 430.
I'd go out and get a clam today, but I'm going on a long trip in a couple of weeks, so it will have to wait until I get back. but I can't wait though they look so cool! :D

btldreef

Keep in mind that LFS's, especially in this economy need to move their product and more and more are willing to sell you anything, regardless of whether your tank is suited for it or not.

1guydude

yep....get 2 more man!
Do u have the reflectors on ur stunners?
They always try to sell me their "product of the day"...."u should buy a clam man"...."check out these"....upsell upsell upsell!

wartooth1

Keep in mind that LFS's, especially in this economy need to move their product and more and more are willing to sell you anything, regardless of whether your tank is suited for it or not.
yep....get 2 more man!
Do u have the reflectors on ur stunners?
They always try to sell me their "product of the day"...."u should buy a clam man"...."check out these"....upsell upsell upsell!
I honestly think that's not the case for a couple of reasons... If they REALLY wanted to push product on me, I would think that instead of telling me I can do a clam, they would tell me I'm close but not quite, but if I just get 1 or 2 more lights Ill me set. That way instead of just selling me a 40 dollar clam, they'd be selling me a 40 dollar clam and 200 dollars worth of more lights.
The second thing is I recently asked the owner of the LFS where I got my lights from if I should get 2 more Panorama combo strips but instead he suggested the blue and magenta stunners which would cost me 100 dollars less. So I don't think these guys are telling me what I want to hear just to make 40 bucks.
And yes, my Panoramas are the ones with reflectors :)

1guydude

i dont have a anemone or a clam yet just cuz i dont think or trust that my systems are stable and develped enough....i want them to be at least a year old...
which i think the mark is coming up here soon on my 36gal!
Suks i should have kept a journal about my tanks!

snakeblitz33

I've been looking at the two ecoxotic panorama LED setup for my 20g... do you like the way they look and function? I was either going to get those or two Par 38 bulbs. I'm still undecided.

wartooth1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///forum/thread/386787/do-i-have-enough-lightt-for-a-clam#post_3405888
I've been looking at the two ecoxotic panorama LED setup for my 20g... do you like the way they look and function? I was either going to get those or two Par 38 bulbs. I'm still undecided.
I'm using those very same LEDs on my 40g and I am very pleased with them. All of my coral, including my SPS, seems very happy under these lights. I think since the SPS is doing well, I'm pretty confidant a clam will do fine as well. But if I'm wrong and the clam is not happy, it will be simple enough to add 2 more panoramas.

S

siptang

I would love to have a clam... only if my trigger won't kill it sigh...

C

childress5tyler

Im interested as well. I run a 24" t5. I have a 12k daylight and a 22k atenic lught. I have a 20 gallon high tank. Any input please

1guydude

deff not for u man... u need at least a 4bulb or 6 bulb system with individual bulb reflectors! VVVVV <----looks like this...

btldreef

Im interested as well. I run a 24" t5. I have a 12k daylight and a 22k atenic lught. I have a 20 gallon high tank. Any input please
If it were a regular 20 and not a 20 high, you could probably have gotten away with a Derasa. In a 20 high, using T5's, you're really going to need at least a 4 bulb unit.

tur4k

I have a Maxima up high on my rocks and Derasa on my sandbed in a standard 90G . I've had both for over a year and they are doing great. I have them under 4 bulb 48" 54W T5's. I'm running two ATI Blue plus bulbs, one UVL Aquasun 10K and one UVL Super Actinic.
I'm not guaranteeing anything, but I definitely think clams can be done under T5's with high quality bulbs.

btldreef

I'm not saying clams can't be maintained under T5's, heck, I've raised maximas under PC lighting. However, in a taller tank, t5's can get tricky, as the PAR value dengenerates quickly. I just don't think the OP has enough light to support a clam with one daylight T5.