do i need a filter and a prizm skimmer?

traftdawn791

someone told me i dont need a filter when i have a skimmer. the filter i have has a biowheel with it. should i leave the filter and wheel on even though i have a skimmer or should i just have the skimmer alone?

florida joe

Originally Posted by traftdawn791
http:///forum/post/3286495
someone told me i dont need a filter when i have a skimmer. the filter i have has a biowheel with it. should i leave the filter and wheel on even though i have a skimmer or should i just have the skimmer alone?
excellent question i always wanted to know the same thing i hope someone can help up both. there is some guy named spanko who seems to have an answer for everything maybe he can help

J

jstdv8

I'm no expert but I'm going to venture a guess and say that you don't "need" one but that it would help with the beneficial bacteria. Might also depend on how much LR you have in the tank.
I know Joe knows the answer, he's just messing with us. Lets wait for Spanko LOL

mr. limpid

Good question. It depends, size of tank; the amount of LR; and the most important your bio load. Some people use only LR (in a sump) others have bio balls (which I use in FOLR). And then there old school under gravel filtration (problem with nitrates) needs to gravel grunge once in awhile. Believe it or not I still have a 20gal. set up that way (8 years now) with a protein skimmer (4 types of coral and two yellow tails damsels).