Do I need a protein Skimmer?

Do I need a protein Skimmer?? 30 gal- cycling tank- 26lbs of live rock- eclipse system 3 with biowheel and I just added a powerhead. The water is circulating a lot- I just wonder about the skimmer?? If I need one do you have any suggestions?? It would have to hang on the back of the tank. Thanks- I am striving for the best BEFORE I introduce fish!!!:D

viper12775

i think every one need a skimmer im sure someone will disagree but i have the same hood on my 20 long i had to cut the hood in the back right corner so i could fit a seaclone in there i think some people have used backpack skimmers from cpr ether way i think skimmers are a good idea

surfnturf

If you're striving for the best, get a good protein skimmer and put at least 4" of sand in the tank while it cycles, that will give you a head start for sure.

fshhub

NO, you do not need a skimmer, BUT I do highly reccomend them. Tanks can be successful without, but are much more difficult. In a new tank(esp with new hobbyists) I feel they are one of your most important pieces of equipment.
go with the dsb, and a decent skimmer. AND I would loose the eclipse too

md8410

Is there something wrong with the Eclipse brand tanks? Just curious because I noticed in one of the last post said to lose the Eclipse and I also have the 39 Gallon Eclipse that has the bio-wheel and I have added a powerhead to it. Me and my wife are currently in the 2nd week of cycling on ours which we have changed over from freshwater fish that we have messed with for 2 years. Decided to go Saltwater but if there is something not so good about these tanks for saltwater I'd like to know before we waste to much time> Any help would be appreciated.

md8410

Is there something wrong with the Eclipse brand tanks? Just curious because I noticed in one of the last post said to lose the Eclipse and I also have the 39 Gallon Eclipse that has the bio-wheel and I have added a powerhead to it. Me and my wife are currently in the 2nd week of cycling on ours which we have changed over from freshwater fish that we have messed with for 2 years. Decided to go Saltwater but if there is something not so good about these tanks for saltwater I'd like to know before we waste to much time> Any help would be appreciated.

slick

MB I know your new here so I thought I would let you know. If you have a question you need to post your own question. People don't like it when you ask a question in someone elses post.
Tex I think it's a good Idea to have a good skimmer.

fshhub

That is not a problem, IMO, we are all here to share and learn.
The eclipse filters(particularly the hood types) are not only not reccomended, but also, much unfavored, they do nothing that you want them to for a sw tank adn become more maintenance and leave you no room for changes. You are much better without them and will soon make a move ot other means anyhow. These moves make changes in the tank as well and one of the most important things in sw is stability. It all ties together and either works for or against you and your tank.
Just my opinion, but I feel it is better to avoid these changes and also these filters as I have mentioned don't do what we need them to anyhow.
HTH
PS, Welcome aboard

fshhub I am sure you know what you are talking about- you seem to have posted your share here and I completely value your opinion. However...I am going to use my eclipse and the hood- am I doomed to fail? I do understand the part about no room for changes- I just remove the whole hood and do maint. Suggestions- other 30 gal eclipse people out there??
TG :confused:

tatoush

hi texas,
I am actually in the same boat. I too purchsed a 29 gallon eclipse setup. I think its a good starter aquarium, but I also can see where we are probably going to have trouble adding things here and there to improve on the system. Also it is probably going to be different for us eclipser's if and when we upgrade to a tank that doesnt have a biowheel or other built-ins. Kinda stinks, but its a cheaper place to start if you want to entertain fish in your home.

You know...I could not agree more. My theory was to see if I could master the 30 gal tank- then I will probably move right up to something much larger. That is the fun in this hobby- everyone has different set ups and different size tanks.