Do I Need A Qt .

bert23

DO I NEED A QT ? IF A FISH IS AT THE STORE FOR 2 WEEKS DOING FINE AND I BRING IT HOME 5 MIN. AWAY DO I HAVE TO PUT IT IN A QT ?
IF I NEED A QT TANK DO I NEED A SKIMMER FOR IT ( 10GAL.)

pontius

here's my take...everything I read says "yes". When I started my 75 gallon, I set up a 10 gallon qt. I qt'd a yellowtail damsel for 2 weeks. At the same time, I added a clown goby to the main tank, can't remember why I did it. But anyway, they've both been in the 75 for about 3 months now and are fine. I bought 2 perc clowns and put them in the qt. They did great for 2 weeks, then got ick and died. bought 2 more and put them directly in the main tank, they've been fine for about 1.5 to 2 months now. bought 2 bangaii cardinals and didn't qt, they've been fine for two weeks now (knock on wood). I've only got 2 more fish to go before my tank is stocked, so I will probably not be quarantining.
the two most important points for me are....
I'm buying from a guy that I trust and have not had any problems with. the first two clowns that died came from a different lfs, and I will never buy another fish from them, even though the damsel came from them too.
secondly, imo, the 10 gallon was too small to be a qt tank. if I had a bigger tank for a qt, I would continue to qt. but if the qt is going to be so small that it adds additional stress, what's the point of qt?
acclimation and buying from a trusted seller are the two most important points to me. I know that adding a new fish directly to my main tank is risky for my current healthy fish. but my last two fish are probably going to be a coral beauty and yellow tang, and I see no possible good that could come from trying to qt them in a 10 gallon for 2 weeks. also, you need to make sure to pick your fish and add them in the correct order...peaceful first, territorial last. that will cut down on undue stress when adding fish.

bert23

thank you. i buy always from the same lfs & they will hold my order for 2 weeks to see if they do ok. so why do i need to bring them home & put them in a qt.

B

big911dog

two points...first, what will you do if your fish develops a disease down the road? with a QT, you can pull him out for treatment. Second, its GREAT to have a LFS which you trust! I trust mine, but they have a singular filtration system. if one fish has something, all are exposed. even with healthy fish, other problems can arise. I still QT any fish I bring home. QT's are a reasonable solution to many problems and, IMO, are worth the small hassle of maintaining them. just my .02...

radioactive

IMO -I agree 100% with Big Dog -
If you have a small - medium sized QT tank you can visually inspect your new fish much easier.If something was to happen down the road this would be ideal for meds if needed. HTH ..

beth

Administrator
Staff member
QT ensures that fish that you add to your tank, go in disease free, particularly free of contagious diseases such as ich or marine velvet.
It would be a shame to put in a new fish and then have a complete wipe out of all your fish....especially if you actually have a QT! :nope:

gilpil

Is a 10g QT tank alright though? That is what I have cycling right now. I can see that such a small tank could put stress on a fish.

pontius

Originally posted by Gilpil
Is a 10g QT tank alright though? That is what I have cycling right now. I can see that such a small tank could put stress on a fish.

That was my point. I believe my small qt put enough stress on the small clownfish to make them sick. What kind of fish are you getting? if it's just a small fish, probably ok. but I think putting a tang or even a dwarf angel into a 10 gallon for qt would be counterproductive.

gilpil

well, I'm mainly setting it up in case my YT gets ick, or any other fish for that matter, but I am not planning on buying any big fish, but if my YT gets ick and I stick him in a 10g qt tank, he is going to get pretty stressed out I would think, but I do understand the reasons for doing. I cannot justify the cost and maintenance of a 55g quarantine tank unless I had many large fish and a 200g tank. I don't know. Sometimes what is best for the fish is just not reasonable for many people's pocket books, and that goes for just about everyone.

pontius

If you're going to qt only in case of sickness, you don't necessarily have to have it setup and cycled....when a problem breaks out, you could fill it with water from the main tank and then medicate without having to worry about having a cycled QT.

gilpil

Only problem with that is that I do not have pre-made saltwater ready 24/7 and I work about 60 hours a week, an making sure the tank is spotless would be hard. I have read that leftover food or fish waste can start a spike within 2 or 3 hours, so if you do a set-up like that you have to be extremely diligent and have some spare time.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
A 20 gal long is a nice tank. When you get fish, get them while they are juvenile, or at least larger fish.
If you QT your fish first, there will likely be little reason to ever have to QT them again.