Do I need more in my clean up crew?

corally

I have a 55 gallon and my sand always looks dirty. I don't think it's algae, it just looks like pieces of fish waste. I have about 12-15 hermits, a brittle star, and about 20 snails (ceriths, astrea). Should I get a sand sifting cucumber maybe?
I also have 2 cleaner shrimps, a fire shrimp and 3 peppermints...

dbalkema

Hello,
I always try to have a Blue Leg Crab per gallon and a snail per gallon. I think you need more of a clean up crew. Just my 2 cents......
Dan

ktsdad

Originally Posted by dbalkema
Hello,
I always try to have a Blue Leg Crab per gallon and a snail per gallon. I think you need more of a clean up crew. Just my 2 cents......
Dan
I agree!

I have always tried to keep the same ratio as Dan and I have had good luck with the tank keeping clean.

corally

Originally Posted by biohazard
Get you a serpent starfish
What is a serpent starfish? Is it reef safe?

corally

Originally Posted by biohazard
Get you a serpent starfish
So its okay to put with a brittle star?

biohazard

It`s an awesome starfish they are mild mannered. They chill out under the sand sometimes and leave their arms out to search for food. They will also eat the fish waste that sits on your substrate.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by eyebedam
A horseshoe crab may also work for you.
I heard these don't do well in our systems, not in a small one anyway!! :happyfish

merredeth

Originally Posted by eyebedam
A horseshoe crab may also work for you.
You don't want to put a horseshoe in a 55 gallon. Have you ever seen how big these buggers get. They would take up plenty of room in a 55 gallon.
After growing up walking around them on the beach I for one wouldn't put one in my tank if my life depended on it.
Denise M.

milomlo

Now I am confussed. I was told not to get a serpant star. Is it the size of my tank - 29 gallon?? I have a reef set up as well.

oceanists

serpants are awsome i have a banded one and i dont see him alot , he chills under a rock where i can just barley see him