Do not add chemicals

michaeltx

Another big no no is adding anything to the tank that you can not test for and do not know the proper levels for.
IE there is iodine supplement that if you are not testing for it and the tank isnt useing it as fast as you put it in the level will soon become toxic to the tank.
There are very few circustances where you need to add chamicals and elements to the tank the main people that have to add them are people with SPS dominate tanks because these corals use up ALOT of elements quickly for the main body of hobbiests the monthy or bi weekly water change is more than enough to replenish the trace elements that are being used up.
Mike

sepulatian

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2609641
By chemicals do you mean just supplements or are you including medications

Joe, you know that you are NEVER supposed to dose medication in the display. Haven't I taught you anything
?

florida joe

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2609650
Joe, you know that you are NEVER supposed to dose medication in the display. Haven't I taught you anything
?
If I were dealing with a case of red slime in my DT would the introduction of red slime remover by Coralife not be considered medication and unless I can dose by some magical way other then putting it in my DT I think I would have to medicate my DT

flricordia

That may be but I have used iodine for many, many, many years and have not had any problems. If I don't use iodine I can actually tell a difference within a few days with my ricordeas. I do not recommend using it blindely, I have used iodine daily in my reefs for the last 15 years and have become familiar with the reaction of corals and estimating how much to use.
Sorry for that difference of opinion, but I truely have used it in many different set-ups in different parts of the country with different coral dominated tanks and can tell a difference when I do not use it as to when I do dose it. And as I said before, I have never had any problems and to be honest, the only coral die-offs I have ever had besides a tank crash back in OKC due to toxins getting into the water, have been from pests, parasites or poor purchases. And luckily none of those in a long time.
As far as ricordea go when I frag them I do not do it until right before dose time and they are pretty much healed the next day and closed off (recircled) within couple days.
But there are some very strong iodine brands out there on the market and I would not doubt that with some you do have to be careful. I have always used Kent's and use at a rate of 4-8 drops per day per 50gls depending on livestock load.
Personally I haven't heard of anyone killing off anything from continual use of Iodine per directions, but I do hear over and over again that it should not be used unless tested for, where is the evidance to support this?
Sure, overdose your system with iodine or anything and you will kill off the livestock I agree, but most iodine available to the reef hobbyists are dilute to begin with and directions are provided on the bottle.
I really feel that somewhere sometime ago someone said 'do not use anything you can not test for' and it might have been someone who had a good rep. or something and it became quote of the day, though I have not heard of any actual reef hobbyists doing harm in using a directed dose.

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2609735
If I were dealing with a case of red slime in my DT would the introduction of red slime remover by Coralife not be considered medication and unless I can dose by some magical way other then putting it in my DT I think I would have to medicate my DT

All right, you got me there. That can be removed with carbon though. I wouldn't jump right into chemical treatments without trying to take care of the reasons for the outbreak first.

florida joe

http:///forum/post/2609812
All right, you got me there. That can be removed with carbon though. I wouldn't jump right into chemical treatments without trying to take care of the reasons for the outbreak first.
Interesting BUT looking at cause and effect will sometimes necessitate the treatment of the effect even though you know the cause and are now eliminating that cause ( what the hell did I just say)

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2609883
Interesting BUT looking at cause and effect will sometimes necessitate the treatment of the effect even though you know the cause and are now eliminating that cause ( what the hell did I just say)
Surprisingly enough I actually got that. I understand that some people have a terrible time with Cynobacteria. If all else fails, and it shouldn't, then medication MAY be necessary. People often times look for the quick fix rather than identifying the cause of something and taking care of it naturally.
I should add that I do not think that this is what MichaelTX had in mind. I think that he was talking about additives that people dose into their tanks that are simply not needed.

flricordia

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
http:///forum/post/2608854
Another big no no is adding anything to the tank that you can not test for and do not know the proper levels for.
IE there is iodine supplement that if you are not testing for it and the tank isnt useing it as fast as you put it in the level will soon become toxic to the tank.
There are very few circustances where you need to add chamicals and elements to the tank the main people that have to add them are people with SPS dominate tanks because these corals use up ALOT of elements quickly for the main body of hobbiests the monthy or bi weekly water change is more than enough to replenish the trace elements that are being used up.
Mike
My goof. I would like anyone to note that there are some key words stated here that are very important that I overlooked before. [and the tank isnt useing it as fast as you put it in the level will soon become toxic to the tank.]
If you are not familiar enough with the species of inhabitants under your care and their uptake of supplements it would be detrimental to use additives without knowing what you are doing.
I have had many years experiance with the use of iodine and have developed a sense by watching my livestock on a daily basis to know how they are reacting to water parameters and conditions.
Please do not think I condone just going out and buying additives and dumping them in your tank. I have no experiance with any of them except Kent's and if you asked me about any others, even the all in ones, I would say 'do water changes'.
I tryed a few of the all-in-ones and did not like the results I was getting. If your tank is sparsley populated with coral, water changes would in effect be enough to give you a beautiful, living and successful reef tank (with a quality salt mix).
If on the other hand you have 300+ ricordea or sps, etc in a single system, it would be good to research supplements and the neccessary conditions required for your livestock if water changes were not preformed on continual basis.

sepulatian

I think that was Michael's point. This forum is tricky because it starts debates. It's intent is for new hobbyists, not seasoned hobbyists, to know what not to do. It is hard to keep from posting info that has been working for years. This board is for all of the new people though.

flricordia

http:///forum/post/2610059
I think that was Michael's point. This forum is tricky because it starts debates. It's intent is for new hobbyists, not seasoned hobbyists, to know what not to do. It is hard to keep from posting info that has been working for years. This board is for all of the new people though.
That's what I realized after I posted it. New to S/W is best to keep it simple and get a feel for it first. I have seen may locally (local craigslist is full of SW tanks) that dove in both feet and open checkbook only to walk away from it with an algae plagued tank and dead livestock.
Most salt mixes in themselves provide enough to keep your livestock alive and doing quite well.
Take it slow and keep it simple, but most of all, don't be afraid to ask questions, no matter how stupid you may think they are, in reef keeping, there are no stupid questions when it comes to keeping your charges alive and doing well.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Flricordia
http:///forum/post/2610097
That's what I realized after I posted it. New to S/W is best to keep it simple and get a feel for it first. I have seen may locally (local craigslist is full of SW tanks) that dove in both feet and open checkbook only to walk away from it with an algae plagued tank and dead livestock.
Most salt mixes in themselves provide enough to keep your livestock alive and doing quite well.
Take it slow and keep it simple, but most of all, don't be afraid to ask questions, no matter how stupid you may think they are, in reef keeping, there are no stupid questions when it comes to keeping your charges alive and doing well.
Yep