Do star's legs grow back?

S

sinner's girl

We got a brittle star from swf.com that is missing a leg and a half. I was just wondering if the legs would grow back, and if so how long would it take? Thanks

Yes. Most of the time as long as the specimen is healthy and water parameters are good they will reproduce limbs. I have personally seen many recoveries due to injuries from other tankmates. It can however take some time. Sometimes months or even years. Iodine additions aid in tissue regeneration also. Good Luck! :)

S

sinner's girl

thanks, and yes he he acclimated as the white sheet that came with the order said to. Actully we took even longer since it was in the middle of the day (we had class).

nasotang00

I have the same kind of star and it had no problem regenerating the leg back. took a while but it's baaaak! It was really neat to check in him daily and see the progress.

michaeltx

I have a black and gold brittle star that during the movement from LFS and acclimating him he lost all the tips off his legs now 3 months later he has started growing his les back they are little tips half the size of his legs. really kewl to see. it may take awhile but as long as he is alive and eating he will grow his legs back.
Michael

S

starfishjackedme

Feed him well, they will grow back. I have a brittle gwing through the same thing and he is always hungry. I fed him chunks of shrimp at night.