Do you believe in evolution?

darknes

I don't want to start a religious debate or anything here. Just curious, what percentage of you believe in evolution.
The reason I ask is that it is so widely taught to be scientific truth, but in actuality is only a theory. There has never been any evidence that supports evolution, but seems to answer the age-old question: Where did we come from? I think that most people believe in evolution because it gives a down-to-earth explanation rather than having to believe that we were made out of nothing.

dlee

Originally Posted by Darknes
There has never been any evidence that supports evolution,

Huh!? I hope you meant that there has never been any PROOF of evolution....big difference

reefreak29

well i dont believe that humans evolved from apes thats just silly , but i do believe that animals evolve , like producing stronger toxins over the generations and such to protect themselves

reefreak29

oh and i dont think we were made out of nothing, i would have to believe in the big bang theory then . we were made from clay...duh

darknes

Originally Posted by dlee
Huh!? I hope you meant that there has never been any PROOF of evolution....big difference
There is no evidence.
Why do we not see any intermediate species? Why has there never been a fossil found with partially formed organs or bones? If evolution were true, shouldn't there be more intermediate fossils found instead of individual species??
If evolution were true, and everything evolved from single cells, why are species of creatures so distinct? I would think everything would be a big mixture, making it very hard to tell the difference between species.

darknes

What bothers me is that any article you read on evolution, the words "theory, think, suppose" are never used.
The truth is that no more evidence supports evolution than there is that we were all "placed" here.

1journeyman

Actually I was taught 2 types of evolution in college.
Micro- also known as adaptation. Plenty of evidence to support this.
Macro- Species evolving into other species. This one's the one that typically is debated.

team2jndd

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Macro- Species evolving into other species. This one's the one that typically is debated.
Exactly

darknes

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Well, I'm referring to macroevolution. Not many people debate micro.

jerthunter

There is no evidence.
Why do we not see any intermediate species? Why has there never been a fossil found with partially formed organs or bones? If evolution were true, shouldn't there be more intermediate fossils found instead of individual species??
If evolution were true, and everything evolved from single cells, why are species of creatures so distinct? I would think everything would be a big mixture, making it very hard to tell the difference between species.
No intermediate species? What about the fossils of Homo erectus, Homo habilis, Australopiyhecus garhi, A. bahrelghazali, A. platyops.... etc....

jerthunter

Also, if you aren't interested in looking at the fossil record look at genetics. We know mutations can occur in genes and genes get passes over generations. So if you believe that small changes can happen in short peroids of time what is so hard about believing that bigger changes can happen over longer periods of time.

itom37

There is no evidence.
Species are distinct because they are in constant competition that drives them to fill distinct niches. If every organism filled the same niche, then the benefit of occupying it would diminish, so some organisms fill certain niches, others fill others, and their continued survival is typically dependent on those organisms being able to exploit resources that others cannot. That explains lack of homogeneity in proximal populations, but then consider that most populations are reproductively isolated. If you take two identical populations and put them in different environments with different selective pressures then they will, over time, become quite different, and eventually will lose the ability to interbreed if they were reunited. The "big mixture" is completely incorrect with even a superficial understanding of population genetics.
No intermediate species? Be careful from whom you get your information. There are plenty of examples of intermediate species. You have to willfully deny facts or distrust people who have no motivation to deceive you to be educated about this subject and still maintain that no intermediate species have been found. Also, I wonder what you mean by "partially formed organ or bone". Of course no species ever existed with half of a functional bone or organ... what would that do for them? Instead we see things like rudimentary lungs in some fish and amphibian species which are clearly more developed in the land-species that common ancestors of those species gave rise to.
It's common to see people try to devalue evolution by saying "it's just a theory". Of course it is. A theory is as good as you can get in science. No scientific theory can be "proven", only supported by evidence. Evolution has a tremendous amount of evidence to suggest that it is a good model of how things have happened and do happen. To not believe in evolution is to disregard observations as fabrications, or to deny that the theory of evolution fits those observations... which they do. There are lots of other theories. The vast majority are nonsense. Even the better ones are simply not nearly as good at explaining what we observe as the theory of evolution. You could say that evolution is our best guess... but that is really suggestive language... evolution is a theory supported by endless data and observation with no credible evidence to counter it.
Macroscale evolution can be tough to fathom, but the observations that led to its conception are not. If you believe that DNA is inheritable, changeable, and encodes functional proteins, and that beneficial changes will enhance survivorship while deleterious changes will decrease it, then you believe in evolution. Apply it to a few billion years and from Hydrogen atoms we have people. It's pretty cool stuff.

A

awakened2life

No genetic information is ever gained by mutation, only lost.
I believe it was piltdown man that they made up from a pig's tooth that was discovered. there was that hoax from the pigs jaw filed down and connected to a human skull. if you need the facts i could get 'em.
The fossil record is proved by the geological column and the geological column is based on the fossil record. It's called circular reasoning.
Yaweh(GOD) is King

mike22cha

Well I don't feel like we came from monkeys, but the Bible does mention a people that were giants. Goliath was a decendant of that family or people I believe.

mr. guitar

I don't believe in evolution. Let me reword that because I don't like the word believe...I know that evolution is not real.
I know that God created everything.

(Not trying to start a debate
)

jerthunter

Originally Posted by AwAkeNeD2LifE
No genetic information is ever gained by mutation, only lost.
I believe it was piltdown man that they made up from a pig's tooth that was discovered. there was that hoax from the pigs jaw filed down and connected to a human skull. if you need the facts i could get 'em.
The fossil record is proved by the geological column and the geological column is based on the fossil record. It's called circular reasoning.
Yaweh(GOD) is King

Unfortunately you are wrong, genetic mutations can result from DNA replication where certain genes are copies multiple times. Look at the genetics behind red/green color blindness.
Regarding piltdown man, that was ONE person making up ONE fossil, in no way does that discredit every single other fossil found.

clown boy

Originally Posted by Mr. Guitar
I don't believe in evolution. Let me reword that because I don't like the word believe...I know that evolution is not real.
I know that God created everything.

(Not trying to start a debate
)
Like I said, evolution is HIGHLY religious. The whole purpose of it is an alternative to Christianity.