do you believe in quarantine?

alix2.0

do you use or plan on using a quarantine tank? lately i have noticed a lot of people saying that they dont quarantine and have never had a problem.
personally, i quarantine everything wet that is going into my tank, because i am paranoid about introducing ich to my tank.
why do you choose to or not to quarantine? have you had success? how many of you have actually had fish develop ich while in quarantine?
thank you.

m0nk

Originally Posted by alix2.0
http:///forum/post/2521762
do you use or plan on using a quarantine tank? lately i have noticed a lot of people saying that they dont quarantine and have never had a problem.
personally, i quarantine everything wet that is going into my tank, because i am paranoid about introducing ich to my tank.
why do you choose to or not to quarantine? have you had success? how many of you have actually had fish develop ich while in quarantine?
thank you.
Absolutely. I've had ich in my DT and don't want to deal with that again. Almost every fish I've QT'd developed ich within 2 weeks. It might partly be the one place I get my fish, but I'd rather see it and deal with it. I'm also leaning towards hypo for all incoming fish, just to be on the safe side.

B

bkneeland

I dont quarantine, have had fish develop ich once, but all seemed to recover

alix2.0

Originally Posted by COWFISHRULE
http:///forum/post/2521785
i strongly believe in quarantine, but do not have the ability to.
have you ever had any problems that might have been prevented by QTing?
also, for people who do not QT corals, have you ever had any problems with destructive organisms such as zoa spiders, nudis, or flatworms? if you trust the source of your new corals, is it worth the risk to the rest of your tank to not QT?

perfectdark

I QT everything I get... there is one place I buy from that I wont QT corals. But I will dip them, and yes I have had an ich outbreak that wiped out my entire family of fish. It was sooo bad I think I even got it.......................yea that last part was a joke.
But for the $ of a 10gal set up.... I lost more $$ in fish from a disese I could of potentially avoided spreading to my DT. Lesson learned.

alix2.0

Originally Posted by chowtownreefer
http:///forum/post/2521846
i dont qt at all. just brings more stress
i can understand that. i think that QT does cause stress because of the acclimation, small tank size, and lack of LR and LS. Then on top of that the fish are transferred to an entirely new environment within a few weeks. But i think that the stress caused by QTing is negligible in comparison to the stress caused by removing the fish and doing hypo or other treatments if it does develop ich in the DT.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by chowtownreefer
http:///forum/post/2521846
i dont qt at all. just brings more stress
I dont agree....
If set up properly a QT is intended to be the exact opposite and is meant as a transition stage for your fish as well as a holding facility to ensure a healthy specimine.
There is no need for lights on a QT, except of for observation, the absence of LR or LS is insignificant to them if they they have a place to hide in like a piece of PVC pipe. And you can if you want add a small sb. And lastly if a single fish is being quarantined its the least stressful environment you can offer it. No terrirorial issues it stays calm has the run of the tank and can get accustomed to you, your voice, feeding schedules and maintanence schedules. After 2 weeks or so, you can then slowly start to introduce a light schedule to them.

crimzy

I don't QT (but I'm a fowlr guy and not a reefer). While I appreciate the ideal of a QT and know that it is useful for certain tanks, I do believe that it can do more harm than good in certain circumstances.
Here are my problems with QT. First, they are almost always small, inexpensive setups. In most cases the fish will be introduced into an environment that is too small and has minimal filtration. A large part of the QT argument is that people want to go buy a 10 gallon tank and stick a hang-on filter on it. I believe that this type of environment will cause enough stress to harm some of the more delicate species such as powder & achilles tangs, idols, pinnatus bat, rock beauty angels, ribbon eels, etc. The amount of beneficial bacteria in the tank may or may not be sufficient to provide sufficient biological filtration to the QT'd specimens. To avoid the above problems, a QT should be just as large as a display, with enough filtration to handle heavy ghost feeding. However this is not how QT's are done in practice.
There are also pragmatic reasons for me not to QT. First, I don't have the room for another large tank, nor do I have the desire to maintain it the right way. Second, ich is not all that difficult to deal with. I have dealt with bouts of ich in my years and it's really not all that big of a deal. I think the stress of tearing apart a tank and putting a sick fish in a woefully small, cheap tank is far more detrimental.
This is my reasoning. If my tank were smaller, with smaller fish, or if I had a reef then I may have a different opinion.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by crimzy
http:///forum/post/2521895
I don't QT (but I'm a fowlr guy and not a reefer). While I appreciate the ideal of a QT and know that it is useful for certain tanks, I do believe that it can do more harm than good in certain circumstances.
Here are my problems with QT. First, they are almost always small, inexpensive setups. In most cases the fish will be introduced into an environment that is too small and has minimal filtration. A large part of the QT argument is that people want to go buy a 10 gallon tank and stick a hang-on filter on it. I believe that this type of environment will cause enough stress to harm some of the more delicate species such as powder & achilles tangs, idols, pinnatus bat, rock beauty angels, ribbon eels, etc. The amount of beneficial bacteria in the tank may or may not be sufficient to provide sufficient biological filtration to the QT'd specimens. To avoid the above problems, a QT should be just as large as a display, with enough filtration to handle heavy ghost feeding. However this is not how QT's are done in practice.
There are also pragmatic reasons for me not to QT. First, I don't have the room for another large tank, nor do I have the desire to maintain it the right way. Second, ich is not all that difficult to deal with. I have dealt with bouts of ich in my years and it's really not all that big of a deal. I think the stress of tearing apart a tank and putting a sick fish in a woefully small, cheap tank is far more detrimental.
This is my reasoning. If my tank were smaller, with smaller fish, or if I had a reef then I may have a different opinion.

I agree 100% in regards to a FOWLR...

R

rcreations

I should QT but I don't and so far I've been very lucky. All the fish in both my tanks are healthy. But I know I should QT, I just don't have a QT tank setup and I don't think it's humane to QT larger size fish in a 10 gal tank.

N

nemo_66

i personally dont QT. i do a fresh water dip, and put them in my display tank. my belief is that if a fish fights off ich, it probably will never get it again. so instead of QTing, i do a fresh water dip, put them in the tank, turn the lights off, and the next morning i feed garlic inriched food. i do that for about two months, and their immune systems are good and strong. worked perfectly for me, ever since i found the idea. i wish i had found it earlier.
so, no i do not QT.

mike22cha

I don't have a QT tank set up, I have QTed fish in some small empty tanks. I QTed my Porcupine Puffer and I'm glad I did. It got velvet which could have crashed the tank, but I was able to sucessfuly treat it in QT with no problem.