do you believe in quarantine?

triggerz92

When you plan on purchasing more valuable specimens a quarantine is a relatively inexpensive, simple, method that will save one a lot trouble and wasted money. When I go bigger I definitely will get a quarintine!

florida joe

Over 200 people viewed this and only 21 answered come on people lets get a good idea what the percentages are

crashbandicoot

QT is a great plan . In the past I have had problems with ich . Its just hard to QT when you dont have a lot of room in your home . for some people a nano is all they have room for and a second tank is out of the question .

R

regina13

I QT just about everything I get. There is an exception to a few corals that I personally feel came from a reliable sorce and I feel are healthy. Reason being I don't want to stress them more. Otherwise I QT everything!

cpg

I am new to the hobby, but the one thing I have learned so far is, there are more favorable outcomes for the people who have been in this hobby for a long time by using a QT, that I have done the same. In fact, if you are upgrading, it is a SUPER SIMPLE transition. Keep the exsisting tank as your QT.

al mc

Originally Posted by m0nk
http:///forum/post/2521763
I'm also leaning towards hypo for all incoming fish, just to be on the safe side.
An excellent idea m0nk!
My feeling is that there is no good reason (correct me someone if I am wrong) not to QT. Ok...The 'money arguement'.....It costs less than $100 to
set up a 20 gallon QT with a simple light/filter/powerhead....less if you get used equipment at a 'sidewalk sale'. Most of us (yep me too) have lost far more money in the cost of fish that have died because we did not QT than $100.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2522200
Over 200 people viewed this and only 21 answered come on people lets get a good idea what the percentages are
Your not going to get a good idea anyway. There seem to be several falsities about who quarantines and who never does, as well as who has had issues in the tank and who hasn't. I am not going to point out who, they know who they are. Yes, I do quarantine everything. I noticed above that someone mentioned the size of a quarantine. The tank does not have to be a 10 gallon set up. I personally have a 15 long and a 20 running at all times. I don't buy large fish though. The 20 has a thin layer of sand and they both have high filtration and power heads. I find it remarkable how people will own several tanks, or invest a lot of money in large tanks and expensive fish, but cannot find room in their homes for a quarantine tank. All I can say is that you are playing Russian Roulette with your display and it's stock. One of these times you will not be so lucky.

florida joe

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2522327
Your not going to get a good idea anyway. There seem to be several falsities about who quarantines and who never does, as well as who has had issues in the tank and who hasn't. I am not going to point out who, they know who they are. Yes, I do quarantine everything. I noticed above that someone mentioned the size of a quarantine. The tank does not have to be a 10 gallon set up. I personally have a 15 long and a 20 running at all times. I don't buy large fish though. The 20 has a thin layer of sand and they both have high filtration and power heads. I find it remarkable how people will own several tanks, or invest a lot of money in large tanks and expensive fish, but cannot find room in their homes for a quarantine tank. All I can say is that you are playing Russian Roulette with your display and it's stock. One of these times you will not be so lucky.
I just don’t understand why we cannot get a reasonable percentage. I was taken to task for my passion to have people QT but we are not telling people what to do, this is a simple do you or don’t you no one is asking for the reasons you do or don’t just what do you do

crimzy

Originally Posted by CPG
http:///forum/post/2522234
I am new to the hobby, but the one thing I have learned so far is, there are more favorable outcomes for the people who have been in this hobby for a long time by using a QT, that I have done the same. In fact, if you are upgrading, it is a SUPER SIMPLE transition. Keep the exsisting tank as your QT.
I disagree. As stated in my post above, QT is fine in theory but not quite so effective in practice... for certain situations. What is the most common argument that you hear for QT? People say "Might as well QT, for $100 you can save your whole display!!" This is the problem with the practice of QT. I would venture a guess that 99% of the people QTing are using small tanks and below average filtration. This makes QT a significant stress upon a fish and many delicate fish don't make it through the process. Not to mention that ich (which is what most hobbiests are paranoid about) is relatively easy to treat in an otherwise healthy system.
There are very few absolutes in this hobby. Many on here argue that to not QT is reckless (or Russian roullette). However I would argue that it is far more reckless to purchase any livestock online (sorry SWF). To blindly order a fish without seeing it's physical condition, behavior, eating habits and size is absolutely crazy to me. But people here don't seem to mind this type of gamble yet suggest that not QTing is somehow irresponsible and there's no real debate about it.
As to your suggestion of the statistics regarding longtime hobbiests, I will just say this. I have been in this hobby for 2/3 of my life and I'd put my own stats up against anybody on this board... period. Again, there are very few absolutes in this hobby. When you are in it long enough, you can judge for yourself what's best for a specific type of system.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by crimzy
http:///forum/post/2522809
I disagree. As stated in my post above, QT is fine in theory but not quite so effective in practice... for certain situations.
Take a good look at disease and treatment. 99% of posts with ich are because people did not quarantine a fish, coral, and/or inverts.
What is the most common argument that you hear for QT? People say "Might as well QT, for $100 you can save your whole display!!"
Anyone can certainly set up a quarantine tank for $100, but if the person know that he/she will be buying larger fish for their tank then it is up to the hobbyist to have an adequate qt prior to purchasing those fish.
This is the problem with the practice of QT. I would venture a guess that 99% of the people QTing are using small tanks and below average filtration. This makes QT a significant stress upon a fish and many delicate fish don't make it through the process.
If the quarantine tank is stressful then it is set up wrong. The quarantine tank should be a place that is stress free. The fish get time to adjust to your schedule and the foods that you feed, without other fish to compete with over food and territory.
Not to mention that ich (which is what most hobbiests are paranoid about) is relatively easy to treat in an otherwise healthy system.
In certain systems yes, if there is not a fish with a weakened immune system. Again, you have a FOWLR tank, as do I. How do you treat ich? What would you suggest for a reef?
There are very few absolutes in this hobby. Many on here argue that to not QT is reckless (or Russian roullette). However I would argue that it is far more reckless to purchase any livestock online (sorry SWF). To blindly order a fish without seeing it's physical condition, behavior, eating habits and size is absolutely crazy to me. But people here don't seem to mind this type of gamble yet suggest that not QTing is somehow irresponsible and there's no real debate about it.
I personally would never purchase a fish without seeing it's behaviors first. I agree with you here. Normal behavior does not mean that it cannot carry a parasite into your tank though.
As to your suggestion of the statistics regarding longtime hobbiests, I will just say this. I have been in this hobby for 2/3 of my life and I'd put my own stats up against anybody on this board... period. Again, there are very few absolutes in this hobby. When you are in it long enough, you can judge for yourself what's best for a specific type of system.
I do not doubt that your tank is healthy. I also do not doubt that you have small levels of parasites in your tank. Many sites state that their can be a balance in larger, healthy, systems of parasites and fish. I ask you to take a good look at this forum though. Every day there is a new post about ich. They always mention that they "forgot" to qt, or they knew that they should have, but didn't. It is sad. They then have to set up an un-cycled qt in the hopes of saving their fish. Google quarantine tanks. See how much of the reefing and hobbyist world finds quarantine a necessity.

crimzy

http:///forum/post/2522884
Take a good look at disease and treatment. 99% of posts with ich are because people did not quarantine a fish, coral, and/or inverts.
I wouldn't quite say 99%. You have to admit that a lot of the posts are about fish contracting diseases in QT (I just read a couple today). While I'm sure that you would argue that this shows the success of the QT (that the fish got sick in QT and didn't have an opportunity to infect the display), I would argue that this shows the failures of QT. Would this fish have gotten sick in an appropriately sized, appropriately filtered display?
If the quarantine tank is stressful then it is set up wrong. The quarantine tank should be a place that is stress free. The fish get time to adjust to your schedule and the foods that you feed, without other fish to compete with over food and territory.
Again I disagree here. If you accept that most QT's are inappropriately small, inappropriately filtered and minimally ghost fed then a QT is very stressful for larger, delicate or more active species. Allowing the fish to adjust without competing for food is really only prolonging the inevitable because it will be transitioned again and will still have to eventually deal with the same territoriality of the other display fish.

Again, you have a FOWLR tank, as do I. How do you treat ich? What would you suggest for a reef?
I don't want to get into the meds debate again but I have used meds as a successful ich treatment. I have also used vitamin and/or garlic enriched foods without any other treatment. At times, if only a couple of spots appear, I have done nothing and the ich has gone away by itself.

I do not doubt that your tank is healthy. I also do not doubt that you have small levels of parasites in your tank. Many sites state that their can be a balance in larger, healthy, systems of parasites and fish. I ask you to take a good look at this forum though. Every day there is a new post about ich. They always mention that they "forgot" to qt, or they knew that they should have, but didn't. It is sad. They then have to set up an un-cycled qt in the hopes of saving their fish. Google quarantine tanks. See how much of the reefing and hobbyist world finds quarantine a necessity.
I don't disagree here. QT can be a valuable tool in the right situations and if it's done properly (not minimally). For reefing I'd say its much more necessary than for FOWLR. But having been around a while, I'm sure you've read a lot about the types of QT's used. How often have you seen someone using a QT that's the same size as the display, with a fuge/sump setup for filtration? I've never seen it.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by crimzy http:///forum/post/2522905
I wouldn't quite say 99%. You have to admit that a lot of the posts are about fish contracting diseases in QT (I just read a couple today). While I'm sure that you would argue that this shows the success of the QT (that the fish got sick in QT and didn't have an opportunity to infect the display), I would argue that this shows the failures of QT. Would this fish have gotten sick in an appropriately sized, appropriately filtered display?
How does it show the failures of a QT? The fish was new and was able to be treated before it infected the display. Read further. I was helping a person earlier tonight who has a nice reef and his fish are COVERED, yes that had to be in caps, check this thread https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/312039/scratching-scratching-and-more-ahhhhhh
I don't mean to single this person out. There are many more.
Again I disagree here. If you accept that most QT's are inappropriately small, inappropriately filtered and minimally ghost fed then a QT is very stressful for larger, delicate or more active species. Allowing the fish to adjust without competing for food is really only prolonging the inevitable because it will be transitioned again and will still have to eventually deal with the same territoriality of the other display fish.
So this is a reason to discourage people from quarantine? No, it is a reason to tell people that they should have quarantine tanks appropriate for the fish that they plan to keep. I would never tell someone that a ten gallon quarantine is sufficient for their new ribbon eel or Moorish idol, etc. IMO if a person is using a qt that small for large and delicate fish then it is because they do not know better and don't have much of a chance of keeping the animal alive.
How is allowing the fish to adjust prolonging the inevitable? You are allowing them to build strength and eat. Sure it will have to deal with competition once it enters the display. The fish won't have to go from a stores tank, where there are many variables, directly into the display to compete against fish that know your feeding schedule, what you feed, and the tank itself.
I don't want to get into the meds debate again but I have used meds as a successful ich treatment. I have also used vitamin and/or garlic enriched foods without any other treatment. At times, if only a couple of spots appear, I have done nothing and the ich has gone away by itself.
Alright, we won't enter that debate. You know my side of it.
I don't disagree here. QT can be a valuable tool in the right situations and if it's done properly (not minimally). For reefing I'd say its much more necessary than for FOWLR. But having been around a while, I'm sure you've read a lot about the types of QT's used. How often have you seen someone using a QT that's the same size as the display, with a fuge/sump setup for filtration? I've never seen it.
I don't use a qt that is the same size as my display. Why would I? Only one fish goes in at a time. There is no reason to keep a QT the same size as the display. Crimzy, I have no doubt at all that your tank is healthy. There are many people who are newer to the hobby and looking for answers for the question of whether or not to quarantine. Can you honestly tell new hobbyists that there is no reason to quarantine and that it is more stressful to the fish?? Seriously, take a look through the threads on here. Your system may work well for you, but we get posts from people on almost a daily basis with ich trouble because they did not quarantine. Check any other site that you would like and find out the consensus on quarantine. It is not worth it NOT to do it.

crimzy

http:///forum/post/2522922
I don't use a qt that is the same size as my display. Why would I? Only one fish goes in at a time. There is no reason to keep a QT the same size as the display. Crimzy, I have no doubt at all that your tank is healthy. There are many people who are newer to the hobby and looking for answers for the question of whether or not to quarantine. Can you honestly tell new hobbyists that there is no reason to quarantine and that it is more stressful to the fish?? Seriously, take a look through the threads on here. Your system may work well for you, but we get posts from people on almost a daily basis with ich trouble because they did not quarantine. Check any other site that you would like and find out the consensus on quarantine. It is not worth it NOT to do it.
I'm not suggesting that there is no value to a properly designed QT for certain situations. But I disagree that it's a necessity, or even valuable for EVERY situation. There is absolutely a consensus about the practice. In fact, those who don't use QT are often regarded as irresponsible hobbiests. However there is no consensus about the reckless purchase of fish that have never been observed. Years ago, there was a consensus about undergravel filters, crushed coral and cycling tanks with damsels, clownfish, eels, lionfish, etc. The consensus does not necessarily mean much.
I'd like to see some statistics about people trying to keep large, delicate species in 50 or 75 gallon QT's. My guess would be that most would die prior to ever seeing their display tanks. A lot of the advice given about QT's to the newbies suggests that you can take any glass box and slap some cheapo, hang-on filter on it and you are doing a world of good for your tank. I don't think so.
I have some questions for the QT'ers out there (if they'll share for research purposes only):
(1) Do you have a sump/refugium filter on the tank?
(2) Would your QT size be appropriate to house your fish long term?
(3) Do you ghost feed heavy, medium or light?
Although I believe that most QT's are insufficient, these people probably won't answer. I'll get answers from only the minority who do it right.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by crimzy
http:///forum/post/2522937
I'm not suggesting that there is no value to a properly designed QT for certain situations. But I disagree that it's a necessity, or even valuable for EVERY situation. There is absolutely a consensus about the practice. In fact, those who don't use QT are often regarded as irresponsible hobbiests. However there is no consensus about the reckless purchase of fish that have never been observed. Years ago, there was a consensus about undergravel filters, crushed coral and cycling tanks with damsels, clownfish, eels, lionfish, etc. The consensus does not necessarily mean much.
I'd like to see some statistics about people trying to keep large, delicate species in 50 or 75 gallon QT's. My guess would be that most would die prior to ever seeing their display tanks. A lot of the advice given about QT's to the newbies suggests that you can take any glass box and slap some cheapo, hang-on filter on it and you are doing a world of good for your tank. I don't think so.
I have some questions for the QT'ers out there (if they'll share for research purposes only):
(1) Do you have a sump/refugium filter on the tank?
(2) Would your QT size be appropriate to house your fish long term?
(3) Do you ghost feed heavy, medium or light?
Although I believe that most QT's are insufficient, these people probably won't answer. I'll get answers from only the minority who do it right.
First I will answer your questions.
1) There is no need for a sump or fuge on the qt.
2) The fish are not there long term. It isn't a display. They are there for two months, if that.
3) That depends on where you are with stocking your tank. I ghost feed every week. I also have three sponge filters in the qt.
I absolutely see your point about certain fish with dietary needs, such as those that only eat from natural resources. Again, if someone is trying to quarantine an Idol in a ten gallon, that fish isn't making it anyway. You are not, or not showing that you are, finding the distinction between long time hobbyists who know what they are doing and newer hobbyists who are buying a tang and putting it right into their tank. Their is a big difference there. I trust that your tank and fish are healthy, as much as I trust that Bang Guys fish are. I wouldn't ask either of you to change your ways, nor am I trying to persuade you to. I am talking about the MANY hobbyists with posts that I reply to each and every day that don't quarantine or think that there was no reason to until something happens. Please think about how many newer hobbyists are reading this and are not sure if they should quarantine. They most certainly should. I only recommend a ten gallon qt with a hang on filter for people with smaller tanks. I also show them Beth's Common Treatments FAQ that shows how to set up a qt. That is a 55 in her pic, unless I am very much mistaken, but it looks like it. A quarantine tank is invaluable, and as I said before, if it is a stressful place then it is set up wrong.

1journeyman

Unfortunately people tend to forget all of the benefits of a QT tank.
As a caveat, understand a QT tank needs to be set up properly. i would typically suggest no smaller than a 20 gallon, with plenty of circulation, tank with dark sides and back, and plenty of PVC for cover.
imho, ordering online is absolutely the best way to go. SWF gets their livestock directly from the handlers in the Pacific. They get the livestock in and immediately begin the acclimation process. Your LFS typically buys fro ma distributor, who buys from who knows who. I worked for 2 and 1/2 days in a fish distributor. The conditions, horrbile handling and mortality I saw in those two days convinced me to quit. It also convinced me to always buy livestock that has spent as little time as possible in transit.
A QT tank allows you to observe and treat a new specimen for illnesses and injuries. In addition it allows the new specimen to acclimate to captivity. It further allows you to target feed it away from competition (We've all had difficulty getting new specimens to eat. In a competitive environment this can lead t othe new specimen never eating.)

morval

I DONT QT. but i have pretty reliable LFS's around me and the one time i did get ich it was from petsmart cuz i was trying to fool my GF (a clown had died and i ran out to get a replacement cuz she is overemotional when stuff dies) the little bugger gave me ich and killed a few of my tankmates. since then ive restocked and i dont plan on adding any more fish. i let my corals slime up in the air for a min then in the tank. and i never dump the bag water fish/corals come in into the display