do you have to have a protein skimmer?

wangotango

Depends on the setup. In most cases yes you will need one, but if you have a really light bioload, and plenty of live rock you can usually get away without one.
-Justin

wangotango

You're going to want at least one pound of liverock per gallon. You might also want a hang-on filter to run carbon in.
Like I said before; a skimmer really depends on the setup. If this is going to be a reef then IMO a skimmer is more important than on a fish-only tank.
-Justin

nordy

While I wouldn't go so far as to call canister filters a nightmare, they do require regular maintenance but if you are into SW fishkeeping, you should be ready for more and better general maintenance, whether it's checking water parameters, water changes, topping off, cleaning, etc. I have a canister filter on my reef tank and it's great for keeping the water clear and removing debris after scraping the glass and also for running carbon when needed. I keep 6 paper cartridges on hand and clean so I always have a fresh one on ready to put in whenever the flow drops off.
I would recommend a protein skimmer for just about any SW tank; when you see the gunk that a good one removes from even a pristine looking tank, you will understand their usefulness!

jj_harrison

On some of my smaller tanks I have ran a canaster filter and no protien skimmer. I had a 20 gallon with a fluval 405 (one of the best tanks i have had). now i have a 40 breader with a cascade 1500 no skimmer and a maxi jet modded lots of flow. I always run live rock rubble and carbon with filterfloss in my cainisterfilters. I just sold my 80 gallon that had an aqua c ev180 on it LR rubble sump mag 21 on a closed loop. that was a good tank too. but i like my smaller ones with canisters
I just un hook the cainister dump out the detritus and replace the floss open the valve to let some water out, then fill it up. it works really well.

maxalmon

Nope, no canister filters and no skimmers....I gave them up a longtime ago and life has been so much easier...For my tanks I have used the aquaclear 110. HOB filter for atleast 15-20 years (not the same one for that long LOL)
I find them to be the easiest of the HOB filters, you simply lift the top off and lift the basket out. Most of the time I just leave the top off, then I can just reach in with my hands, remove the carbon bag and replace it, all within maybe 10 seconds.....
This is one of the best designed HOB's ever IMO, simple, runs forever and you can buy bulk carbon and use a refillable bag. The beauty of this HOB is that it's not complicated, it literally hangs on the back of your tank, you have an area that 12" x 4" x 6" that you can fill with whatever you want. It takes a few seconds to swap out foam filter blocks, replace carbon bags etc and you never have to turn it off and it never leaks

maxalmon

Oh yeah, forgot about this....If you need a miniture fuge and have no space, just fill it with water, toss in some chaeto and a small light and you have an instant, but small fuge

buffett

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2803086
no they are maintinence nightmares
just wondering what do you recommend, i have a canister and im not real partial to it but i am willing to try something else that you recommend

reefr23

so that is all i would need to run my 46 gallon fish-only saltwater aquarium and nothing else filtration wise? i am also putting like 5 lbs of live rock too.

scottallert

Originally Posted by reefr23
http:///forum/post/2804978
so that is all i would need to run my 46 gallon fish-only saltwater aquarium and nothing else filtration wise? i am also putting like 5 lbs of live rock too.
id think about putting more then 5 lbs. maybe like 25 lbs, for more hiding spots and cover for the fish so they dont have to compete as much.