Do you leave your mag-float in the tank?

jenn-e

Or do you take it out every time? I read somewhere that it was bad to leave it in the tank all the time. What do you guys do?:thinking:

montidanae

dont take it out, they need to be underwater, if you take it out, thats where rust starts to grow, when the salt and the oxygen meet, over a week or so it will be covered in rust, which is bad, keep it in the tank, it will become covered in coraline and you wont be able to notice it...

jenn-e

I'm seeing a few spots on it right beside the pad thingy that kinda look like rust. I have always left it in the tank until i saw that tonight. Should i still put it back in?

djnsocal

I've only been using the floats for 3 years... I've also left them in. Most aquarium stores I've visited also have them in the tanks. I haven't seen a problem with mine. Are you sure it's rust?

jenn-e

Well i'm not real sure, but it looks like rust. It doesn't come off so i don't think it's algae. It kinda smells like metal too.

nm reef

I take mine out maybe once a month to clean it up...the rest of the time its in the tank...very useful tool in my opinion.