Do you make your own fish food blend?

chain

Im a strict advocate in making my own fish food in that I can feed multiple types of food at one time without having to reach for multiple jars or punch out seperate frozen foods. I'll make a list of what foods I include in this blend and describe how I make it. Feel free to try out my recipe or include your own personal recipe for people to try out.
San Francisco Bay Saltwater Multi-Pack Frozen Cubes
All natural Freeze dried Krill
Crab and Lobster Pellets
Instant Ocean Marine Blend Gel Food
Omega One small Protein Pellets
Julian Sprungs seaweed (Purple, Red, and Green)
OSI Marine aquarium Flake food
Kent Liquid Zooplex
Marine Snow
Kent Garlic Extract
(I also have seeded my refugiums with copepods, amphipods, etc. and I also have added a tube of brine shrimp eggs to each fuge.These account for other food sources which are not included above)
I punch out two rows of frozen cubes, (there are 4 different types of cubes included in the multipack so 2 rows would = to 8 total cubes with 2 of each type.) and LIGHTLY rinse them with ro/di water to remove the packaging phosphates. I then place them in a food processor with a small amount of ro/di water and blend. (Please be sure not to use your food processor for anything else again if you opt to do this
) You want to be sure to go light on the ro/di water addition because you don't want a liquid in the container; you want a more of a paste. After this has been blended well I add two-three small packets of the gel food, some flakes, the omega one protein pellets, the crab and lobster pellets, small portions of each seaweed, a couple of drops of zoo plex and marine snow, and a few drops of garlic extract. I blend until everything is well mixed. After this crush a few large pieces of freeze dried krill and sprinkle over the paste thoroughly. I blend again (the last time) for around 10 minst to make sure everything is blended nice and fine. Here is where you are free to do as you wish.
I personally put the paste in small ziploc sandwich bags and flatten out to around a 1/4 inch. I then freeze overnight. If you do this, then you will need to rip the bag apart as it will stick to the food. I rip the bag apart the next day and double bag the food in small sandwich bags. I now break the frozen food apart into around equal sized pieces with some smaller and some larger.
You could opt to place the paste back in the cube portions of the multipack and re-freeze it so you could just pop a block out for easy feeding; or you could use a small ice cube tray for this specifc purpose and pop the blocks out once frozen and place them in a sandwich bag to stow away in the freezer for when you need them. I make fairly large amounts at one time; for my 125 gallon reefs I use an entire saltwater multipack but the food does last considerably longer. The above example is what I feed my 29 gallon reef.
Keep in mind I still supplement Zooplex and Marine snow accordingly even though I do include a small amount in the food.
The fish love the food and it gives them the ability to pick and choose what they want with their favorites still containing alot of the foods they may not particularly enjoy but gives them the nutritional value they need.
r />
I also still supplement algae sheets for the CUC.
I say if it works for you go with it. Alot of things which work for one person in their aquarium will not work for others. Take what you will from the above information and go make your own marine blended food. You don't have to use a food processor if you would rather not purchase one for this specifc reason. You can simply opt to thaw the cubes out completely and stir together well with what you have.
I've heard of some people frequenting the supermarket and using available foods from there to mix in with their food. Also Asian markets (if you have one nearby) are GREAT for fresh and cheap food which works very well when mixed and blended with our foods. Just be sure to research the food before you attempt to feed it to your fish to make sure they are compatible and usable as aquarium foods.