Do you need a protein skimmer?

tecster81

I have a 55gal tank, a HOT magnum pro system filter, 2 aqua clear 50 powerheads, and it will be FOWLR... Should i get a protein skimmer? If so, any recommendations?

maeistero

i tried it w/o on my 55 through the first few weeks and had a THICK layer of junk on the water. then the glass started greening up and it just got worse. i bought a prizm and it helped for awhile, but then i discovered.....
prisms are crap! buy a real skimmer and don't waste money on some skilter junk.

nm reef

A decent skimmer can be a positive addition to the filtration of any marine aquarium. I don't believe they are absolutely required...and many systems do fine without them....but they can be a positive addition.Personally I wouldn't run a marine system without one....

arkey.d

It takes out bad stuff from the salt water, think of the ocean water hitting the shore and the foam it creates, that foam is the bad stuff and is the ocean's natural skimmer......

cvk531

but i don't have any foam on top of my tank. does that mean i just have a protein skimmer for no reason?

arkey.d

No, you mis-understood, the Protein Skimmer creates the foam that gets collected in a cup that you throw away.

bjgwilliam

The skimmer will mix your tank water with air. The pumps actually mix both your water and air together, creating a "foam". Bad proteins are trapped in the foam that then rise to the to the cup of the skimmer where they are expelled from the tank.

I would suggest a skimmer for a more healthier and happier tank..:happyfish

mudplayerx

Definately get a protein skimmer. You can get some very effective ones for inexpensive. I think my protein skimmer keeps my water cleaner than my filter, actually.