Do you quarantine your Corals?

saltn00b

just curious how many people actually quarantine their corals, for how long, and what they are looking for during this period?

reefkprz

depends on the source. If I know the tank and the person it comes from no but if its a LFS or unknown then yes.

saltn00b

how long, under what lighting? what are you looking for, and what do you do when you find something?

viet-tin

Ever since I caught red bugs Ive always qted all coral. I do a lugols iodine dip for a minute and set them in a small 10gal with a ph and pc lighting. I sit them in there for atleast a week and inspect them everyday to make sure there are no parasites that survived. Two guys I know recently caught acro eating flat worms and one has already lost all his sps during treatment and the other one I havent really followed up on but seems like he was able to save his coral or fragments of them. So
for qting coral

integral9

I'd probably do it if it came on a large peice of rock. (because I got a nasty little Coral Crab with some rock once that ate my LTA) But my LFS mostly sells frags on pebbles. So no, I don't quarantine corals.

viet-tin

Originally Posted by petieaztec
recently i wish i had though. I got flat worms i didnt notice at the store.
You shouldnt really have to worry about them as they are harmless detrivours. They may become unsightly and their population will grow out of control and thats when they become a nuisance. If you can keep their numbers down then they shuldnt cause any harm at all.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by saltn00b
how long, under what lighting? what are you looking for, and what do you do when you find something?
one week
65 watts pc in a
10g tank bare bottom.
look for anything unusual.
usually if its something nasty I just throw it away(yes I have thrown out $80 corals) better to lose $80 than thousands..
If I can solve it without heavy doseing I do what I can.
I have caught and stopped Aip several times by QTing unfourtunatly it doesnt alway work I qted a brain and still managed to introduce a mantis or pistol shrimp can hear him just havent caught him.

viet-tin

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
can hear him just havent caught him.
Most likely a pistol shrimp. Mantis shrimp are silent hunters and have precise aim so they rarely miss a target. You would also notice shells around a mantis hole.

reefkprz

since nothing has gone missing yet I'm gonna assume for now that its a pistol, now I just hope he doesnt kill any of my other shrimp.

travis89

I don't quarantine anything because my LFS does it for me. They won't sell unless they know it is healthy.

viet-tin

I always try and hope for the best. If you notice that your snails and hermits are missing than its likely a mantis shrimp. I dont hate mantis shrimp but dont want them in my tanks. They are quite interesting when you have them in their own aquarium though.

viet-tin

would a coral die in one week under N.O. lighting? (standard fishtank stock)
I wouldnt think so as Ive had them in qt that way before. They will lose a bit of color though which is why I switched to a small pc fixture purchased at HD. They will color back up when you put them in your DT if you have sufficient lighting

reefkprz

would a coral die in one week under N.O. lighting? (standard fishtank stock)
not if you use the right spectrum bulbs, when I first got into the hobby thats all I used on my reef was regular flourescents. obviously I couldnt keep any high light corals but all my softies did fine for months. a week probably wouldn't hurt even a high light coral as often in the wild there are whole weeks full of cloudy days.

rykna

I used to in the begging.....stopped acclimating over 6 months ago. I've dumped in everything from an orange tree sponge to both of my daisy and purple goniporas. I do float evrything so the temperature is the same, but other than that...SPLOOSH!
I haven't had any complaints from my tank occupants. The goniporas grew larger for the 8 months that I had them~ then I took down my reef tank for $$$ reasons.
I am currently setting up a seahorse tank.....being the first time that I have gotten Seahorses. I will use more caution~probably use drip aclimation, for at least 30 minutes.

catawaba

Temperature acc. and drip for 1 hour. Then I 'rinse' the coral by 'swooshing' it around a bit in the acc. tub. Then place in tank. While it is acclimating, I am watching the item for hitchhikers...I use a magnifying glass and a light. I know it sounds dumb, but I sometimes 'sneak up on it' to see if I can spy a bristleworm or crab....

viet-tin

I highly recommend iodine dips for all sps. Red acro bugs, acro eating flat worms, monti eating nudis all are horrible pest and some being very difficult to remove. The best way to battle harmful hitchhikers is prevention.

rykna

Originally Posted by Catawaba
I use a magnifying glass and a light. I know it sounds dumb, but I sometimes 'sneak up on it' to see if I can spy a bristleworm or crab....
:hilarious
I do that too!!!! I found all sorts of little critters....most of them bad, but it is funny...they do watch...and feel the vibrations of your footsteps as you aproach the tank. I have had to disciplne my 5 year many a time about why we DO NOT run in the upstairs living room. Poor little critters, they problably think there's a earth quake or something :hilarious