Do YOU Quarentine your new fish?

T

trimmer156

i qt my fish and have had good luck so far, but i have seen my father not qt a fish and got a case of ich that killed every fish in his tank, ,,eventually.

fyi

the results from that poll are VERY interesting with now77% saying they DO NOT quarantine!!! shocking!
I dont right now, because I cant afford to set up a qt tank! But when the funds come in, I am for sure!

jakebtc

i've never quarentined any new items and never had ich. one time i grabbed some chromis from the fish store and got home and noticed they threw in a rotten one but after a couple days it was gone and he sprng to life think it has to do with my high temp at the time and clean water

fyi

if it was sick, it could very well still be sick, and it might show up the next time it is stressed! just so you know..

stanlalee

nope. never had any issues. never add any of the stores tank water. Heck I cant remember the last time I bought a fish but the local store quarantines all their corals and livestock before selling them.

fallnhorse

i've have read books that recommend a medicated quartine tank. Oh how wrong they were. The fishes body is like a sponge and i lost all my inverts in my tank. Thank god i only had snails. I find buying quality fish from only the most reputable stores. Plus not letting any other water ever get in my tank. Does the best. I net the fish once he's in acclimated in a seperate tank. I swear by this.

feixjai

i dont qt my fish because i always look for sickness or anything that doesnt look good on my fish. theres a lfs i got to that is self serve with nice fish and good prices, but their fish are not in very good condition. so i always go when they get their shipment and when you get the fish into the clear bucket, i just look at it and if it doesnt look good just put it back into the water. and i acclimate for about 3 hours. so far nothing has gone bad.