Do you skim while cycling a tank?

tigershark

I've got some LR that has been in a bucket for a week but I can finally setup my tank so I want to move it into there. I have been skimming and it has been pulling lots of stuff from the water. Im going to have a 4" sand bed and will probably start off with a bad of LS to give the bacteria a boost. If I add the rock while is almost done curing will it hurt to skim until the tank is done cycling? After that, I want to try and get some more life to add to the sand bed and I know I should not skim for a while then. But will skimming affect bacteria production in a new tank?

saltyrich

I chose to wait a while to allow some bacteria and stuff to accumulate before I started skimming. I'm sure others will comment, but I'd turn it of for awhile IMO.

tigershark

hmmm now im kinda stuck on what to do. I want to take my LR out of the bucket and get it into my tank, at the same time I want it to finish curing so I probably should keep on skimming to get the bad stuff out. But I dont want to make it harder for the bacteria to multiply??????