Do?

fishhunter

Do feather duster worms leave there old tube and move around the tank?
I have found my large feather duster in the back of my tank and he is moving around...
Is this normal...

texasmetal

I've heard of them leaving their tubes before (saw one and man it was ugly!) and I believe they can make new ones, but if it left its old tube I'd assume something is wrong in the water.

t316

Yes, it is possible for them to do this, but rare due to the vulnerability that they are putting themselves into. Many of our "creatures" let down their guard at night and roam the tank, but for you to see this is rare. As far as the feather duster, look at him like a turtle....the shell is not what's alive, rather the worm itself, so if he gets caught by a predator while on his mission, he will be dead meat.

nanomantis

They do it when they deem the location of their tube to be in a less than favorable location. So basically, he wasn't happy and packed his bags and moved.
Now, the problem with this is that building a new tube is an intensive energy consuming process for them. Make sure to keep the nutrients/food high in the tank in the coming week or two.

fishhunter

Originally Posted by NanoMantis
http:///forum/post/2949557
They do it when they deem the location of their tube to be in a less than favorable location. So basically, he wasn't happy and packed his bags and moved.
Now, the problem with this is that building a new tube is an intensive energy consuming process for them. Make sure to keep the nutrients/food high in the tank in the coming week or two.
Ok. I bought him only a few days ago. he was attached to a [eace of coral and i put him in a higher flow are on the sand bed maybe he didnt like it.