Doberman Pinscher

jbird0420

Will do! Going to see him Saturday. If I get him. I will post some pics. I'm excited. Probably won't sleep the nite before.

crypt keeper

Few things. My Parents are breeders of goldens and Tibetan Mastiffs. AKC just means they are pure breed. Nothing else. It doesnt certify the dog in any way shape or form except you are getting a pure dobie.
Secondly. Take your time searching. This isnt some thing you should rush. This is a process. Be willing to pay some money for a dog. Number 1 thing IMO. Make sure the parents have their hips certified. This will allow your dog to have a full healthy life without pain meds or surgery and eventually a pre mature death. Hip dysplasia is a horrible thing a dog and owwer must face. If you buy a random dog these people continue to breed and make the breed suffer in the long end. A good breeder will allow you to bring the dog back if something genetic happens and the dog may be at risk. Im not saying you should do this. The better breeders guarantee their dogs.
Great breeders never allow a dog to leave any earlier than 8 weeks. They keep the dogs inside and are socialized with people. Not kept in some pen outside. IMO that is borderline abuse on a puppy.
You get what you pay for. A $250 dog from the down street could be a great dog. But why risk that for you and the dog? I wouldnt flinch to pay $1000 or more if the dog is coming from good people and breeders.
Personally. If you get a dobie. Get the ears done. They look more intelligent and just overall better looking with them done. Its painful a for a few weeks at most. They live over 10 years.
Good luck Hope this helps.
P.S. Stay away from the blue dobies. They have all sorts of skin issues and eventually go bald. Stick with rust/red or black/rust

jbird0420

Thanks for the info crypt keeper.

I asked the owner of the puppy if the parents had any known health issues. Of course I got the NO answer, but anyone can say that to get rid of something.
I will say that the dad is not on site, but mother is. I really would like to see both parents on premises. When I get down there, to see him. I will question the owner on any related health issues. If I feel that for any reason that this is not the right pup for me. I WILL walk away. I do realize this is nothing to rush into. It is a commitment, like owning any other animal. Thanks again for the info. I just want to make the right choice for my future companion.

You need to make sure that both parents have their hips certified and the most important thing about a dobe is to find out it's von willibrands status. Making sure that they have had cardio testing would be a plus.
I would also like to say that blue dobes do not always have skin issues, they are just more susceptible to these issues like alopecia or chronic dry skin.
You will not be disappointed with a doberman, they are wonderful dogs

jbird0420

I will ask the owner if he had the hips certified and cardio tested. Thanks for all the help and info guys. I do appreciate it!!!!!!

adee

hes cute... but has he been wormed yet? his belly is terribly distended and hes very thin by the pictures.. thats usually the red flag for worms, yikes. Also his choke chain is WAY too big for him. You would be better off having him wear a nylon collar until he gets older that actually fits him and use the choke chain when your walking him but even then you shouldnt really be using a choke chain when hes young and learning to walk on a leash

jbird0420

He's been dewormed. He had his second set of boosters today and came back negative. He looks healthy and acts healthy, no worms in his poops either. He has been cleared by 2 different vets. His choke chain is a little long now, but he will grow into it very shortly!

adee

what are you feeding him, what were they feeding him and what quantity? he really looks way under weight, his ribs and hips are protruding and his belly is really distended, i wouldn't have purchased the puppy in that condition... i dont mean to kill the excitement of having a new puppy, im just concerned for the little guy. You wouldn't necessarily see the worms in his poop, most of them are visible only on a slide under microscope (float test)...i used to do them all the time at the vet i worked for, what kind of tests did they do on him? Take a look at the other puppy posted in this thread.. that puppy looks very healthy, well weighted

jbird0420

I appreciate your concern ADEE! He's been certified by the State of FL and by my vet today. My vet did the float test and he's negative. He's not under weight by any means! If he is, the many people, including my vet would have said something.

teresaq

He looks good. Dobies go though those stages Where they look really skinny, then they fill out.
What are you feeding. I fed Adult pedigree bites and bones mixed with lrg breed puppy for a few months, then swithed to all adult and still feed pedigree bites and bones. You dont want puppy chow for a lrg breed dog. If you can find the lrg breed puppy food, you can mix it half and half for a few months.You want them to grow a little slower, its better on thier hips and bones.
T