Does Anyone have an Octopus in there tank? Pics?

caz2022

Yes I currently have a Bimac. He's great. I keep in a 75 gallon with a couple of serpent stars, a chocolate chip star, and a pencil urchin. What would you like to know?

well i was thinking about getting one, but know nothing about the different kinds you can actually get, and how big they get? I'm in the process of setting up my first saltwater aquarium. It's 90 gallons and i'll have about 100 pounds of liverock, 80 or so pounds of sand, and wanting to do more of a semi-aggresive fish tank. Lionfish, a tang, an eel, and was curious if i could add an octopus in or not?

mike22cha

Octopus needs a species only tank. If you really wanted an octo tank then go to TONMO.com and there are a bunch of people with octos. It takes a lot of research and a tank that is escape proof.

caz2022

Originally Posted by GosuPaintballe
well i was thinking about getting one, but know nothing about the different kinds you can actually get, and how big they get? I'm in the process of setting up my first saltwater aquarium. It's 90 gallons and i'll have about 100 pounds of liverock, 80 or so pounds of sand, and wanting to do more of a semi-aggresive fish tank. Lionfish, a tang, an eel, and was curious if i could add an octopus in or not?
They definitly are a species only tank. If you decide to go with an octopus for your 90, I recommend a captive born Bimac. There are thousands of different types of octopus so its best to get one from someone who breed them. That way you know exectly what specie and exactly how old it is.
I see that your tank isn't even set up yet so that rules out an octopus for now. You really should have an established tank with oversized filtration and protien skimmer.
Your list of fish is probably gonna get a bit of "flak". What type of Lion,Tang, and Eel are you thinking of? I'm not positive but I think the only type of Tang thats suitible for that size tank is a Kole Tang. As far as the Lion and Eel go, I'm gonna let someone else give you info since I've never had a Lion and the only Eel I have is a Snowflake.
I almost forgot, Im a member of the site mentioned above and couldn't agree more. That's the best site I've been able to find for info on keeping Octopus

cool pics and some nice vids as well. Yeh i've already had a thread on here about what type of lion / eel to put in a 90, and was told by a few people i could add a smaller sized tang as well. So i'm good to go on that end. I was just curious about octopus

05xrunner

there is no way you could add an octo with any of those fish. It pretty much has to live alone. Cause it will eat all or get ate.

sharkboy13

something interesting i heard the other nite, if u can remove the sexual organs of an octo then u can prolong their lifespan

aw2x3

Originally Posted by Laxzach
Whats the minimum size tank for a bimac?
45 - 55 gallons, IME.

stdreb27

There is an amazing video on utube. a mini documentary where an aquarium decided to put some octopus's in with their 4 and 5 foot sharks and stuff. Anyway their sharks started dissapearing. And it turned out that the octopus's were eating them. (I'm assuming it is real it looked pretty legit)

joojoo

Cute, looks like he's playing with his baby rattle
. Something I have never understood about octopi... Is the big bulge the back of their head? In which case they would like kind of ugly to me. I usually picture the big bulge as their "nose" giving them a cute big nose appearance, lol. In videos I've seen, they walk forward and backward, so it's so hard to tell!

as just curious why did some of your octopuss die? I like them but i don't want one. DO they dies of age or die just because?