Does anyone have Bubmble Bee shrimp?

fishmamma

Trying to find some info on bumble bee shrimp....wondering if anyone has/had them in their tanks.

mrdc

Never heard of them so I had to look it up. Looks pretty cool. I didn't see anything about not being reef safe. The only thing I noticed was the care level was moderate.

fishrule

This is what I found on these little shrimp...
Please Note: This information was obtained by a website that I can't show on this forum and this information does not belong to me...

Survive in aquariums: Yes
Survive in warm ponds: Not recommended
Survive in cold ponds: No
Plant eating capacity: Low to Moderate
Algae eating capacity: Moderate
Bumble bee shrimp only grow to an inch long and eat algae. Bumble bee shrimp belong to the family Atydae. A hybrid version of the bumble bee shrimp is the Crystal Red shrimp. They have light black stripes down their backs like bumble bees. They prefer temperatures in the low 70's F and slightly acidic water. Bumble bee shrimp will eat fish food, soft moss, vegetable matter, and soft algas. One keeper reports that they prefer fish food and do not eat much algae. They are active and peaceable. Bumble bee shrimp are supposed to be easy to breed on a diet of fish food. Unfortunately, they only live to about 15 months of age. Neocaridina species are similar to bumble bee shrimp in many ways. My local fish store had some bumble bee shrimp for sale for about $2 but they were very small, about the size of adult brine shrimp. At that size, even small fish might eat them, or they could get sucked into the filter intake.

As far as I can tell, they don't eat corals and are peaceful tank mates... Sucks they only live about 15 months and can sometime be mistaken for food...

fishmamma

Hmm.....yeah, that is a short lifespan. Plus they prefer lower temps so they are not looking like a good match for my tank. Thanks for all the info, I was having a hard time finding any on these guys.

mrdc

Yeah maybe you can get lucky and find one about 1/2" so it might not get eaten.