Does anyone know how to figure the volume of a Hexagon tank

K

kpatrick

I have a large hexagon tank but I am not sure how to figure how many gallons it is. I looked online and could not find the formula. Can anyone help?

ifirefight

LxWxH divided by 231 equals gallons. As far as a hex goes...do that formula then estimate the area missing and subtract from the total. Im sure there is an equasion ..I do not know it though.

reefforbrains

Bit of a long process but its bitten into chunks to my walnut brain can handle processing it.
Center square volume is easy math. Then outside edge broken into 4 chunks that are measured for convenience using a square that is then cut in calf once math is done.
Add that half square 4 times to the volume of the center portion for total volume.

myreef05

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
Bit of a long process but its bitten into chunks to my walnut brain can handle processing it.
Center square volume is easy math. Then outside edge broken into 4 chunks that are measured for convenience using a square that is then cut in calf once math is done.
Add that half square 4 times to the volume of the center portion for total volume.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Oh, I got it. NOT! HAHAHAHA

reefforbrains

Give me the measurements and I will show ya what I mean.
I need:
Measurement from flat panel to flat panel across top of tank to establish A.
Measurement of how far out the furtherst point of B sticks out to the side beyond the two panels that are parallel.
Post those along with how high the tank is and I can show you the math again.
my poor little hampster brain is going to grind some gears........

K

kpatrick

flat to flat is 22", furthest point out is 6.5" and the height is 31".

reefforbrains

So Figure each quarter sticking out is:
31 tall by 11 (since that shalf of the flat-to-flat) by 6.5
2216.5/2= 1108.25 Ci
divided by two since we made a sqaure for easier math of each quarter that sticks out.
Now take that times 4 since theres 4 quarters we needed to measure to figure total footprint=
1108.25 x 4=4433.0 CI divided by 231=19.19 gallons to add into your center portion.
Just measure the center A. Portion from my sketch above.
B.= 19.19 gallons to add and you have your final total
-RFB

reefforbrains

If you really want to get goofy then you can measure the thickness of the glass then divide by two and multiply by your area of the side planes' area @ 1.5 and then multiply by 4 and remove from your volume from B and have exact volume..
If 3/8 glass, it would be about 3.0 ci then /231 or roughly 0.0108225108 times 4 for the four sections, so actually remove 0.0432900432 gallons of volume form the finished product.
128 ounces in a gallon 0.0432900432*128 removing 2.221 ounces of tank volume.

zanclus

the easiest way to find out how much water it will hold is to fill it using 5 gallon buckets and 1 gallon jugs of water

ninjamini

Originally Posted by zanclus
the easiest way to find out how much water it will hold is to fill it using 5 gallon buckets and 1 gallon jugs of water

No the easiest way is to look on the sticker that came with the tank. It will tell you there.

myreef05

Originally Posted by ninjamini
No the easiest way is to look on the sticker that came with the tank. It will tell you there.

snaredrum

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
So Figure each quarter sticking out is:
31 tall by 11 (since that shalf of the flat-to-flat) by 6.5
2216.5/2= 1108.25 Ci
divided by two since we made a sqaure for easier math of each quarter that sticks out.
Now take that times 4 since theres 4 quarters we needed to measure to figure total footprint=
1108.25 x 4=4433.0 CI divided by 231=19.19 gallons to add into your center portion.
Just measure the center A. Portion from my sketch above.
B.= 19.19 gallons to add and you have your final total
-RFB
Yeah, What he said.

1journeyman

Yipes..
If the tank is empty, fill it with one gallon of water. Now measure how full the tank is.
Example. If one gallon of water is one inch deep in tank and tank is 20 inches tall it's a 20 gallon...

farslayer

Area of a hexagon = ((3*sqrt(3))/2)*L^2
Area of each rectangular face = H*L
Surface area of hexagonal prism = 2*HexagonArea + 6*RectangleArea
Volume of Hexagonal Prism = HexagonArea*H
A hexagonal tank is a prism, so you can quickly find the number of cube inches and from that calculate the number of gallons assuming gallons per cubed inch.