does colour ever come back after bleaching out???

addicted2

I was wondering if colour ever comes back after a coral bleaches out to white?...I have a couple shrooms that have totally gone white and am curious.

peef

It depends on what is causing the bleaching and wether or not you have changed something to A. cause the bleacing or B. Help remedy the bleaching.

nycbob

under the right condition, any coral that is either brown out or bleached can get its color back. but as stated above, u must know what cause it in the 1st place.

kaybee

The color should come back.
I had a bleached-out mushroom "hitchhiker" on some live rock I purchased. Not only did the mushroom's color come back (red with blue polkadots) but I've now got a good dozen of them.

peachie98

Is there such a thing as a white mushroom? I ordered one of the assorted mushroom rocks from this site and they were all white with a tiny bit of darkish/blackish places. Now it's been about 2-3 weeks or so and they are all completely white. I just thought it was a kind that was white...but now I'm wondering if they are bleached out? Weird...

paintballer768

Originally Posted by peachie98
http:///forum/post/2455789
Is there such a thing as a white mushroom? I ordered one of the assorted mushroom rocks from this site and they were all white with a tiny bit of darkish/blackish places. Now it's been about 2-3 weeks or so and they are all completely white. I just thought it was a kind that was white...but now I'm wondering if they are bleached out? Weird...
Yes, most likely they are. White anything on a coral generally is bad. Remember, generally speaking.

addicted2

c-o-l-o-u-r....yes....I am not french or canadian..
.but I do like it spelled that way....soooo..what do you think?..must I change? I cannot help myself...there is something about the french-canadian...
hmmmmm..I want one.

addicted2

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/2453887
under the right condition, any coral that is either brown out or bleached can get its color back. but as stated above, u must know what cause it in the 1st place.
this "brown out" you speak of....I have wondered if I have a couple corals that have done that. I have metal halides too..and my water always tests great..I am methodical when it comes to my water changes. But I do not ADD any extra nutrients to the water like calcium, magnesium, strontium etc. I depend on my water changes for the nutrients/metals.

peachie98

Originally Posted by paintballer768
http:///forum/post/2455803
Yes, most likely they are. White anything on a coral generally is bad. Remember, generally speaking.
Well...now I'm a little concerned. I guess if they are all completely white, but still okay looking otherwise (they are still alive at least and opened up)...will they survive? If they won't I guess I should email swf and see what to do about it. It sucks I didn't realize this sooner as it has now been over the 15 day period...but they aren't dead, just white. They are kinda cool looking with all of them being white on the darker rock.

addicted2

Originally Posted by peachie98
http:///forum/post/2456553
Well...now I'm a little concerned. I guess if they are all completely white, but still okay looking otherwise (they are still alive at least and opened up)...will they survive? If they won't I guess I should email swf and see what to do about it. It sucks I didn't realize this sooner as it has now been over the 15 day period...but they aren't dead, just white. They are kinda cool looking with all of them being white on the darker rock.
I also have 3 white shrooms....they are completely white..with just a little spots of green in them...didn't start out that way...it happened when i split the rock they were on to split them up...hmmmph! stressed I imagine. I should have let well enough alone.

morval

i have a small frag of Pocillopora damicornis that i put in a high flow area and overnight the side the flow was hitting totally bleached out
is it possible that the polyps were blown out of the skeleton ? i have since moved it to a less abraseive area, hopefully it will come back