Does Ich look like its diggin into the skin?

mrchinky71

Okay I just recently saw my clown fish, it came out from hiding in the rocks for a few days. I noticed this lil milky white dot on the left side. It looked like part of it was in the fish's skin. I've attached a picture of the white dot

here we go! please let me know what you guys think it is.

lion_crazz

That does not appear to be ich. Can you post any more pictures possibly?
Is this fish still eating?
How long have you had the fish?

mrchinky71

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
That does not appear to be ich. Can you post any more pictures possibly?
Is this fish still eating?
How long have you had the fish?

i'll try to get some more clear shots. The area where the white dot is, it looks like the white dot is digging into the fish's skin as there is a bulge close by. It's still eating very little though.

mrchinky71

I will have to look more to see if the dot is moving, but it doesn't look cottony, the color looks sort of like a clear whitish color.

sorry these are the best i can get from my crappy camera.

mrchinky71

Originally Posted by sepulatian
Is it moving? Does it appear attatched to the gills?

its actually not attached to the gills but infront of the gills, about 2-3 centimeters infront of the gills. It seems to not be moving. My Firefish doesn't have any dots on him from what i can see at different angles anyways, he did change color though, is it normal for firefish to have a greenish head?

mrchinky71

Originally Posted by sepulatian
I don't know about the firefish, is this thing a clearish white?

yes it looks like a clearish/greyish white. My fish is eating alot though. He's quite hungry.

mrchinky71

does fish lice look like it burrows into the fish's skin? if it is fish lice how did i get it? and how do i treat it?

sepulatian

I know people that have just taken tweezers and plucked it off, but lets wait for Lion, he knows much more about this stuff than I do

lion_crazz

If this fish had "lice", you would see it moving, as fish lice are isopods that attach to fish. These would need to be physically removed via tweezers or foreceps. If you do not see it moving on the fish, it is probably not lice or isopods.
I would not take any drastic action yet.
The only thing that worries me is the lack of appetite. Can you post your water parameters for me? I need to know your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, kH, salinity, and temp.

mrchinky71

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
If this fish had "lice", you would see it moving, as fish lice are isopods that attach to fish. These would need to be physically removed via tweezers or foreceps. If you do not see it moving on the fish, it is probably not lice or isopods.
I would not take any drastic action yet.
The only thing that worries me is the lack of appetite. Can you post your water parameters for me? I need to know your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, kH, salinity, and temp.

thanks lion_crazz_ well my ammonia and nitrites are both at 0. My nitrate i think was a lil high from accidently over feeding, but then i did a couple of 10-20% water changes to help lower it. Haven't checked what it is yet, but will check it later today. my pH is at 8.2 my kH i dont' know but will try to buy test kits for it. My SG is at 1.025 and temperature is from 78-82 it gradually changes, i cool the tank down daily with 2 Litre bottles of Ice. Does ich usually appear around the gills? I don't know if its moving as i can't really take a good look as the fish moves too much. So it could be moving just that i can't tell.

mrchinky71

Okay i just looked at him today, the white bump seems to be sticking out more today, yesterday it was just like a small groove aglong his body like this " ( " now it looks like its sticking out alot more like this " < " :(

mrchinky71

its driving me nuts, i wanna help my fish out. I dont' want him to die or anything. He seemed to beating a lil less today, yesterday his appetite came back and he ate like a pig today he just took a few bites.