Does increasing temps do more harm than good?

luvmyreef

I always read how people increase their tanks temp to combat ick. I recently read an article about the effects that warmer water has on our tanks. Let me quote it
"each species of fish or coral has a particular range of water temperature within which it is most comfortable living. And because fish are exothermic, they rely on the temperature of their environment to regulate body functions. Thus, it is important to maintain this range of water temperature to keep your aquarium inhabitants alive and healthy. When water temps begin to exceed a species' preferred range, a number of things can occur:
*warmer water speeds up the metabolism of your fish, causing them to be more active, often referred to as hyperactivity.
*The increased metabolic rate of the fish will require the fish to receive more oxygen, but there is less oxygen available because warmer water does not hold dissolved oxygen as well as colder water.
*the decreased oxygen levels will also affect the aerobic bacteria in the nitrogen cycle. thus making the biological filtration less effective and causing an increase in ammonia.
Add to that the increased waste production of the fish as a result of their increased metabolism and you will have the makings for a water quality disaster."
So, my question would be, is it really a good idea to increase temps when combating an illness such as ick? Or are we doing more harm to our tanks by doing so? Any thoughts??

cranberry

You'll read me saying a thousand times on here to not increase the temp.
I have a very good study that discusses fishes immune system/response in relation to oxygen saturation levels... lemme dig out some quotes from it. I have to find it again on my flashcard.

cranberry

Erf! It may take me a bit... I just got 36 new books and I don't remember which it was. I'll be back in a moment.... or a year. O.O

luvmyreef

I couldn't agree more. I always keep my tanks at 77-79. I think it may be a very bad idea to increase the temp. Speeding up the death of your fish in my opinion.Besides, I always thought that the warmer the water, the faster the lifecycle of ick, thus making it harder on the fish. If you keep it cooler and slow down the cycle, you will have time to treat the problem, and boost your fishes immune response, and not have the problems stated above. But this is just my opinion.
Any additional info is appreciated on the subject.

cranberry

K, it will have to be tonight when I get up, dang it.... there was a whole chapter on it. It measured immune response and stress hormones etc etc.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Cranberry, you are putting me in the mood for an Easter avatar.

I don't see a whole lot of point to it. I think those kind of changes in water temp, stress out an already sick fish stressed by disease. It doesn't kill ich, just hastens the parasite's life cycle a tad (maybe or maybe not).

deejeff442

reminds me of a bonehead at a lfs.actually this store is one of the best looking around .i heard they have over $750,000 invested there.
you would think they would know something right?not
he told me one time ich cant survive in 84 degrees or higher.
lfs gotta love um.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
LFS still hires people with varying degrees of know-how, and too frequently less know-how. Even some knowledgeable people know a lot less about fish diseases.

cranberry

I'm awake and will be looking for it. I was so excited to receive all these books I was just running through all of them reading little parts.

luvmyreef

Ha Ha. Happens to us all! This topic actually raises another question. What about the folks who keep their tanks at warmer temps like 82 or more?
Anyway....awaiting more info.

flower

Not fair, I just found this post and I have to go to work....I am a big fan of warmer temps (helped cure my ich problem) so I find it interesting. I will check back in the morning to see what everyone has to say...

flower

I am amazed nobody posted after mine last night. Cranberry must not have found what she was looking for.
I keep my reef tank at 82 and have done so for about a year now. My story…
When I got my Hippo tang it was tiny, the size of my pinky nail. Like an idiot, I didn’t use a QT. That little fish had ich…all the time, now it was in my reef and I couldn’t get rid of it. I used kick ick and everything else “reef safe” on the market. It made my corals look awful and it always came back. I only had room for a 10g QT which was way too small for all my fish to stay in for 6 to 8 weeks.
I read that healthy fish can fight off the ich parasite. So I decided that I would try and get the immunity up the best I could to try and save the fish. If it didn’t work, and they died anyway, I was going to let the tank sit with no fish for 8 to 10 week s to be sure ich was gone, and told myself that for forevermore in the future I would use a QT tank for new fish.
I purchased two cleaner shrimp to pick off any spots on the fish. I laced chunks of raw shrimp ($30.00 for a bag of 20) with fresh garlic juice. I upped the tanks temp to 82 which I read somewhere is where Hippo tangs are happiest. All my fish were infected at the time.
To my amazement, I didn’t lose a single fish, they quit scratching themselves on the rocks. However every time I did a water change the hippo tang got spots…just him no others. I thought I would eventually lose it. After a while, I lost track of time but at least 3 months, the Hippo didn’t get any spots either. When I moved my tank last June to my new place, not one fish broke out with ich.
Nor have I had a single break out since. My fish are not hyper at all. They act exactly the same, except for scratching on the rocks, that they did with a cooler tank.
I did lose a pagoda cup coral, they don’t like it so warm but the other corals, are growing and looking great. I do not have any SPS, only LPS and softies. In fact, to try and save the pagoda cup I lowered the temp to 76/78…all my coral looked like crap, so I decided to let the pagoda try and adjust and brought the temp back up to 82. Everything perked back up except the pagoda.
So I do tell folks with reef tanks who can’t do hypo, to try what I did to see if it helps them. I know the so called “reef safe” medicines do not work, but is very hard on the inverts and corals.
The cycle of ich is the same fast or slow. The fish only eat what I feed them, so no more poop than normal. I don’t have a drop of hair algae on my rocks. Coraline grows on everything, just as it did with a cooler tank, I use a mag float to keep it off the front.
It worked for me...

deejeff442

with all due respect i still dont think it was ich you had.ich will not go away just by feeding the fish better and raising the temp.if it does alot more marine biologists would have figured it out a long time ago.

cranberry

It's going to take me forever. I have no idea which book I was reading the whole discussion in.
Ich can be in a tank and be under control to the point at times it's totally undetectable, that I have no doubt of. But I think so they did so DESPITE the increase temperature, not because of it.

raf

i raised the temp in my 55 to 86f when i had an ich outbreak 8+ months ago. It never came back and i didnt lose a single fish (to ich)

flower

Originally Posted by deejeff442
http:///forum/post/3239643
with all due respect i still dont think it was ich you had.ich will not go away just by feeding the fish better and raising the temp.if it does alot more marine biologists would have figured it out a long time ago.

Little white dots, that fall off and the fish rub themselves on the rocks and streach the gills...the cleaner shrimp cave was a favorite hangout, they were like waiting in line. On shrimp rode the Goby like a pony.
The Hippo tang was the worst and the beginning every outbreak...so what was it?

deejeff442

i have read articles and also read sep saying cleaner shrimp dont eat the ich just the ring around it.
lympho can start with little random white specs also.
lympho can stay in the water and show up again at times of stress.
if you got rid of ich with food and high temps thats great but it to me would be one in a million.

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3238936
Erf! It may take me a bit... I just got 36 new books and I don't remember which it was. I'll be back in a moment.... or a year. O.O
This sounds like me when writing a term paper. I started using sticky notes as book markers and now my bookcase looks like a Rainbow...