Does Marine Ich effect Humans?

zues3026

About 2 weeks ago my fish all got sick with ich and I transferred them to another tank with copper, while I wait for 4 weeks for the parasite to die off. Just yesterday I was re-arranging the tank with the parasites I had my hand in the tank to rearrange the rocks and plants(mangrove). Last night I looked at my hand and it was full of white spots and very itchy. Is there any effect at all on Humans?

nicetry

No. You may have had an allergic reaction to something, but the ich is not going to affect you.

xokarmaxo

Originally Posted by Lesleybird
Yes, Ich affects humans........can cause a loss of sanity, loss of sleep, loss of money.

geridoc

nicetry has it right - ich will not affect human beings, but marine environments have a variety of infectous organisms that will. Always wear rubber or latex gloves when working in a tank.

al mc

Gloves are also a good idea so you don't pass something that could be lethal into the tank (works both ways)

zues3026

How would I go about cheaply treating both my display tank and my quarantine tank which I now see some of my fish are getting the ich again. I am currently using Melafix in my Quarantine tank. Also in my Display should I add Copper or just wait the 4-6 weeks for the Parasite to die off.

geridoc

I would just hypo the QT and leave your DT fishless for 6 weeks. You won't need to buy any chemicals, and you won't be contaminating your DT with copper.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by GeriDoc
I would just hypo the QT and leave your DT fishless for 6 weeks. You won't need to buy any chemicals, and you won't be contaminating your DT with copper.
I absolutely agree. One, NEVER add any med to your display. Two, the meds are not going to help. All fish need to be treated using hyposalinity.