does my grouper have a disease?

ohscc

I have had my miniatus grouper for 2 weeks now and when I got him he was bright orange with blue spots.bright orangeAbout a week ago he started to become very dark toward his tail and i think his front is becoming darker also. The color that is taking over is like blackish and a little spotty but you can still see the orange. We have a huma huma trigger in there and they don't fight at all. Nothing has changed with the trigger's color however. We feed them sivlersides and krill once a day with zoe. They both devore it and are very active during the day. Can you please tell me what this blackness is if anything? Thanks for all your time and replies. Corey

craigj

I have found that many fish species are just different shades...just like humans. My blue-spotted grouper changes colors often. Sometimes he's a really dark navy, and others he is more grey, and sometimes he'll even have 6 or so stripes on the back of his body. I have seen many different shades of miniatus groupers also, but it would be purely speculation for me to say whether or not your fish is sick. I would worry more about his behavior than color. If he eats well, swims well, fins look good, doesn't scratch, etc. he is probbaly fine. I'd keep an eye on him though.