does the florida condi eat fish

thamobster

hey just a few days ago i picked up two florida condi from my lfs..i was told they wouldnt host clowns but i thought they looked cool and they were only 4 bucks a pop so i bought em..then when i returned to the store to get another a few days later another guy told me they were bad news..and that they will eat my clowns and any other fish that comes in its way if they touch it..is this true..cuz ive seen my clowns brush up against it and nothing happens..only other thing is i put a firefish in my tank with them last night now its dead this morning..could he have touched it then died..cuz he was found on the other side of the tank not even near tha condis...thanks nick

X

xnikki118x

I was also told that Florida condis don't host clowns, but I liked the way they looked, and I purchased one from this site a long time ago.
Well, it hosted my maroon clown. It definitely did not ever eat any of my fish. It did like freeze-dried shrimp, but it never went after any of my fish. The clown slept in it every night, and stayed in or around it pretty much all day.
As for your firefish, I would think that something picked on him and killed him. Do you have any other fish in the tank besides clowns? Some species of clowns can be aggressive from what I understand, especially as they grow, so maybe the firefish was just picked on, or it just didn't take well after acclimation and kicked the bucket. Either way, I don't think it was the condis. Just my opinion though. :)

sonofkrono

i've had 3 condi anemones for about ayear now, well since i started my tank it was the first thing i bought. anyways, no they do not host clowns because they are atlantic anemones and clowns are from the pacific(or the other way around i can't remember). but no they will not, carpet anemones will gladly. but i've never seen my anemones eat a fish or had one disapear to an anemone. i don't even feed my enemones real fish or shrimp, i just squirt some micro-vert into their "face" with a suringe.

clarkiiboi

Well, mine hosted sebeas and clarkii's, with no problems. The sebea's had to get used to it though, but a week or so later they were at home in it. I know its rare, but it happens with certain clowns I guess. As for them eating a healthy fish, I never had a problem, but anything is possible in the right circumstances. Just make sure you feed it well.