Dogs and Lymphoma

bender77

Of all the cancer's that dogs can get lymphoma is one of the ones that responds best to chemo. If it doesn't respond in the first 1 or 2 treatments, then it probably won't. If you choose not to treat you can make them more comfortable for awhile with predisone therapy. There are a lot of factors that go into deciding whether to treat or not like, is she still eating, what is her white count, can you financially afford to treat, how old is she, do you feel it's the right thing for her? Only you can answer some of these questions. It's a hard decision to make and hard to go through. Wishing you the best. :hugs:

cranberry

It's a schnauzer and he's 14. Symptomatic with increased work of breathing. That's what alerted us something was wrong. Since we got the diagnosis I swear he's skinnier. Still eating but not much of his own food. He was never a huge eater but is now getting very excited about steak.... he use to be only a little interested. One of the treatments they are describing is a 2 year treatment. Huh? Wha? I think this has been going on a long time because I noticed something like a month ago. I don't even know what it was. I just had a "feeling". How much does treatment even cost? I never thought to ask. I'm just stunned.

bender77

The thing with dogs and cancer, you rarely do chemo to cure them. They can go into remission, but you do it to bring longer quality of life. I had a friend with a pitbull with lymphoma who had a huge mass (lymphnode) in her chest live 2 more great years with treatment. But on the flip side, I know a beagle with lymphoma that after 2 treatments they had to euthanasia her, she showed no response to the chemo at all. As far as cost, that really depends on where you live and what drugs they use. Doxyrubricine treatment can be $300 a treatments, and treatments are every 3 weeks. Lomustine can by $100ish dollars every 3 weeks. Then you have to think, at 14, if he was healthy, how much long would you have with him? Maybe another year? Anything can happen at this age. Unfortunately this is a personal decision and really doesn't have a wrong answer. You have to do what you feel is best for him and what you can live with whether it be chemo, palliative therapy or euthanasia. It isn't easy but you will make the right choice. Whatever you do don't second guess your decision or you will drive yourself crazy. I'll be thinking about you.

teresaq

Renee, So sorry to hear about your dog. I know its not easy thinking of loosing them. Our cocker had a lrg lump on her chest. She was 14.
T

teresaq

We put her down. Between her age, the cost and no guarantees. We didnt want her to suffer the pain.
T

al mc

Personally, I would never advise anyone to treat their 14 year old pet with chemotherapy. It would certainly be my job to indicate it was available as an option but I also think it is my job as a human being to tell them I would not personally do it with my own pet.
As the other poster suggested, Prednisolone and symptomatic care to keep him comfortable would be my advice.
Sorry CBerry.

meowzer

Sorry Cranberry....I have absolutely no experince with animal cancer though....I did have a Pug that was sickly his whole life, and after 9 years (I was told he wouldn't live 6 months) I had to ....well you know (I still can't say it) It broke my heart, but I knew it was time....We did all we could and he was very uncomfortable.
I hate that you have to make this decision....

cranberry

Originally Posted by Al Mc
http:///forum/post/3065132
Personally, I would never advise anyone to treat their 14 year old pet with chemotherapy. It would certainly be my job to indicate it was available as an option but I also think it is my job as a human being to tell them I would not personally do it with my own pet.
As the other poster suggested, Prednisolone and symptomatic care to keep him comfortable would be my advice.
Sorry CBerry.
You're a vet right?
I felt like his shares depended on it. I miss my old vet in Texas!!! He grew my dogs up.

al mc

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3065282
You're a vet right?
Yes......small animal practice.... sorry if the advice is a little harsh....but I try to give advice based on how I would make choices for my own animals...

scotts

Al, You are awesome! I completely agree with what you said. I wish you were my vet out here.
Cb, It sounds like it is time (or soon to be) to say farewell old friend. You have lived a good long life and now the best I can do for you is send you off in peace. We held on to our first dog for too long and realized it was a selfish thing to do. He did not enjoy his last months of life. You owe it to him to be there and be the last thing that he hears. It is horrible and the worst thing that you can do for yourself, but you are doing it for him. I have had to do it 4 times now and I am sitting here with tears in my eyes thinking about it, but I know they went peacefully and with someone they loved.
I am so sorry.
Scott

nina&noah

I'm really sorry you are going through this. It is really terrible to see an animal you love going through this. I have no experience with this, but I would imagine that chemo would make a 14 year old dog feel even worse than he already does. The only thing I can base that decision off of is what the chemo did to my grandfather. We actually believe that the chemo took time off of his life instead of extending it. Older bodies just can't handle it. Again, I am really sorry.

nw2salt08

Cranberry, I am so sorry to hear that you have to make such a difficult decision. No matter what age you have to let an animal go, it's always hard. You form a bond and trust this animal. You love them and are familiar with all their quirks. I know if I were in the same situation I would definitely try to make your friend as comfortable as possible. Whether that means meds or euthanasia (sp?). I will pray that in what decision you make you'll take comfort in knowing that you're doing the best for your friend.

cranberry

Originally Posted by Al Mc
http:///forum/post/3065540
Yes......small animal practice.... sorry if the advice is a little harsh....but I try to give advice based on how I would make choices for my own animals...
Your reply was not harsh, it gave me the first bit of peace that I was headed in the right direction. My vet was really pushing for the chemo. He doesn't know me and he had never seen this dog before.
I've faxed the reports to another clinic and they said they would not do the chemo route either.
I have chosen prednisone to make his breathing a little easier. Besides the breathing and the sudden weight loss you wouldn't know he was sick... yet. So my plan is to hopefully get him feeling a little better and spoil him to pieces.
I thank you all for your kind words. This is officially the hardest thing I've ever gone through.

judyk

Cranberry, you have have made a tough decision, but the best for the pet you love. Having been through this many times, I'm sitting here with tears for your pain. Just love him and what my sister in law once told me, when you love and pet them and they no longer care, it's time to let them go. Believe me, you'll know.

cranberry

Should I be concerned with weight gain? Normally I would be really careful when the Beagle was on pred... but does it matter when there is no "after pred"? Will weight exacerbate his symptoms? He feels so boney yet he is heavier than he was a couple of years ago. How is that possible?
I'm gonna let him in the neighbours yard to get that squirrel he's been drooling over for years... just kidding.