doing water changes

pugh

i have my 55 gallon. it now has pink and blue goby, 6 line, lantern bass,tomato clown and hawaiian puffer. its cut off from fish now. maxed out imo. i was wondering whats the "proper" way for water changes. 1) how much should i take out 2) just mix up new batch of salt water, match the temp and pour it back in? thanks

salt210

I hate to ask this, but you havent done one yet with all of those fish?
the amount of water and the frequency of changes can vary from person to person. I myself do a 25g every other week on my 210.
I make the water up 24-48hrs ahead of time and give it time to mix in a seperate container. When I start my water change I remove the water and then use a pump to pump in the new water and Im done.
but yes you should be checking to see if the PH, temp and salinity match before putting the new water into the tank

nordy

I do 10 gallons every two weeks on my 55 gal reef tank by mixing up the SW in a couple of 5 gal buckets and letting it sit over night to aerate and warm up, then just siphon the old stuff out and pour the new back in by way of the sump. Definatly want to let it sit and mix for awhile so you can check the salinity and make any needed corrections before putting it in the tank. Proper salt/water mixing should result in good salinity/ph/alk levels when freshly mixed but you should always let the water mellow unless it is some type of an emergency and you have to large changes in a hurry.
I have heard 10% a week as a general guideline, but peoples practices vary widely. A couple of things to keep in mind: a large fish load may dictate more frequent changes, keep up on checking your nitrate levels with those fish. More frequent water changes will replace trace elements and will keep nitrates down, but you also have to consider the cost of salt, water, etc, etc, in figuring out just how often/how much to change water in your tank.

liz644

I would sat take out 1/3 of the water. I usually do this with a vacuum. That way you can clean up and get the water out at the same time :D The water temp doesn't have to match the rest perfectly. As long as its close in range that works well. You can actually buy already salted water either at a store (where they often have it in 4.5 gallon cartons that are directly from the ocean) or premixed (which you can get at some salt places) the easiest way to do it is by mixing sea salt into distilled water. there really isn't a "proper" way to do it.

nordy

Originally Posted by Liz644
http:///forum/post/3071647
I would sat take out 1/3 of the water. I usually do this with a vacuum. That way you can clean up and get the water out at the same time :D The water temp doesn't have to match the rest perfectly. As long as its close in range that works well. You can actually buy already salted water either at a store (where they often have it in 4.5 gallon cartons that are directly from the ocean) or premixed (which you can get at some salt places) the easiest way to do it is by mixing sea salt into distilled water. there really isn't a "proper" way to do it.
I respectfully disagree.
I would not recommend changing out 1/3 of your water at one time unless you have an urgent reason to do so-that's a lot of new water to introduce into a tank at one time. Thermal shock can stress your tank inhabitants and should be avoided as much as possible. I have a couple of heaters and powerheads that I place in my 5 gal buckets and after some experimentation, I have them set so that after sitting overnight they will warm each bucket to withing a couple degrees of my tank temp (79-80). While distilled water is better than tap, it's not nearly as good as RO/DI and an investment in a good RO/DI filter will pay dividends for years down the road. The problem with store bought salt water is that the quality isn't as controllable as when you mix it up yourself with good water (RO/DI) and a good salt (I like Instant Ocean).
IMHO there is indeed a "proper" way to do water changes, even if people go about it their own way: 1. Do it regularly 2. Do the proper amount, unless it's an emergency 3. Use good quality water and salt. 4 Let it mellow over night 5. Test before adding to your tank-better to match your tanks salinity (as long as its in the acceptable range) than to reach a certain setpoint that might be different enough from your tank to stress your inhabitants. 6 Invest in a RO/DI filter-it can be one of the best investments you will make, especially if you have a larger tank.
My 2 cents.

locoyo386

Originally Posted by Pugh
http:///forum/post/3070370
i have my 55 gallon. it now has pink and blue goby, 6 line, lantern bass,tomato clown and hawaiian puffer. its cut off from fish now. maxed out imo. i was wondering whats the "proper" way for water changes. 1) how much should i take out 2) just mix up new batch of salt water, match the temp and pour it back in? thanks
Hi there,
This is a very complicated question. One short answear, is 5 gallons a week. Match the pH and salinity of your tank water. Make sure the temp is no more than 3-4 degrees off.

locoyo386

Originally Posted by Nordy
http:///forum/post/3071766
I respectfully disagree.
I would not recommend changing out 1/3 of your water at one time unless you have an urgent reason to do so-that's a lot of new water to introduce into a tank at one time. Thermal shock can stress your tank inhabitants and should be avoided as much as possible.
Hi there,
Why would this be the problem if the temperture, pH and salinity are matched?