Dolphin Powerheads any good?

crash519

I'm trying to decide between Mag-Drive and Dolphin powerheads for a closed loop and a return pump. I keep hearing about the heat the Mag-Drives create. Are the Dolphins just as bad? What about power consumption? I will need two Mag 9.5's or the Dolphin equivelant. TIA

tony detroit

Many dolphin external return pumps have sealing problems after as little as 6 months. Personally I run mag's, they are great. They may get warm, but they function excelent.

bigmac

You don't want to run a Mag pump external. Their a lot worse then a Dolphin. What Dolphin pump are you looking at?

bigmac

Tony,
How many Dolphin pumps have you used, or is this something you read? I have a Amp Master 3000 that has never leaked in the 4 years its been running. I have over the past 5 years used 4 Mag pumps, they leak, make noise, wont startup when the power is cut. I do have a Mag 2 that I use externally. Its a great pump as long as you don't take it apart, once you do have to seal it with silicone or it will leak....Naw, MAG pumps are not made to run externally.

I think that Dolphin makes a better pump BUT I also have a mag 24 and mag 9.5 (and a mag5, 3.5, 7) running on my 120 gallon soft tank with no problems. I have had them apart twice for regular cleaning and no leaks. Maybe not the norm JME.
SiF

tony detroit

I know multiple people that have had dolphin externals have seals go bad in as little as six months after brand new.

bigmac

Originally posted by tony detroit
I know multiple people that have had dolphin externals have seals go bad in as little as six months after brand new.

That's what I thought...
lets take a look at some of the online dealers.....here's a quote from one of the biggest "Mag-Drive pumps are not recommended for external use". Gee, wonder why:notsure:

Hey BigMac... I'm confused Tony said
dolphin externals have seals go bad in as little as six months
you agree???
That's what I thought...
Then you qoute an online dealer stating they are not for external use and wonder why?? I think...errrr Tony is....was...errrr.....not agreeing with you :)
FWIW I am not busting your chops I have just had good luck with the mags and find them to be reliable both internally and externally. Again maybe not the norm but just my expierence. I think it is safe to say there are other pumps out there much worse. There will always be an online vendor that doesn't like them or that will support them like a quote from this one...
In-line or submerged. Mag-Drive pumps are perfect for wet-dry filters, protein skimmers, or almost any aquatic application.
SiF
PS I still think that Dolphin makes a better pump the ampmaster 3000 is a great example. There is just no reason for me to replace all my others when they work and so many other things need my money.