Dont fish sleep?

stapler

My clowns always seem to be swimming around...never stop moving. At night they just kinda drift, but I thought they would settle down somewhere and take a nap...like my bi-color psuedchromis did when I had it.
Do they need some kind of coral or anemone to sleep in....or could it be hermit crabs that keep them from wanting to settle down?
Or is that just what they do?

wxman2

Great question. The 4 clowns that I have sort of just float around at night like their drunk. But the next day, their great!

stapler

Yeah I got all my lights set so they go off and on at the same time every day....and I run moonlights at night. Just thought maybe they were weiry of the hermits.:)

silentshaw

my 2 clarkii clowns find a spot on the rocks or in a cave and sleep at night. they actually lay on the rocks or sand bed when sleeping. is this weird?

doris

From what I understand, fish sleep with only half (left or right sides?) of their brains unconscious at a time. Guess it's a hazardous game out there.

stapler

Well hopefully they will find a spot sometime soon...I just think that they would get tired and stressed out.
Oh well...

kittykitty

Originally posted by doris
From what I understand, fish sleep with only half (left or right sides?) of their brains unconscious at a time. Guess it's a hazardous game out there.

that's interesting. so in that case they're always awake?

razoreqx

Most all fish spend time in an energy-saving state that can be called "rest", and we might even call their behavior "sleep", though it is probably different than "sleep" in most land animals. Many fish, like Bass and perch, rest on or under logs at night. Coral reef fish active in the day, hide and rest in crevices and cracks in the reef to avoid being eaten at night.
The resting behavior of fish is very different from their behavior the rest of the day. Many minnows, for example, which are very active in schools during the day, scatter and remain motionless in shallow water at night. Many fish "rest" or "sleep" during the day and are active at night instead, but almost all fish sleep.
Do Fish Sleep?
by: Virginia Wells
It’s probable that fish do sleep in some form, whether slowing down or coming to a complete stop, whether hiding or doing it right in the open. Photo by Beth Bianculli
Everyone needs sleep. Every night average people perform a sleep ritual: We change into pajamas, crawl into our soft comfy beds, close our eyes and enter into a restful state. Our hearts slow down, we breathe slowly and regularly, and our muscles become relaxed. Once or twice an hour we roll over, but we are no longer tuned in to our environment. We spend about 8 hours a day sleeping – that’s one third of our lives.
Sleep means different things to different forms of animal life. The Saunders Comprehensive Veterinary Dictionary sums it up pretty well: A period of rest during which volition and consciousness are in partial or complete abeyance and the bodily functions partially suspended; a behavioral state marked by characteristic immobile posture and diminished but readily reversible sensitivity to external stimuli.
Most animals have some daily pattern of rest and activity, and in many species these daily cycles are similar to people running around during the day then lying down at night and doing nothing or sleeping. It is believed that fish are no different, although it is a controversial subject. Some fish keep very still, experiencing a quiet period (quiescence) that you might call sleep. Scuba divers often handle reef fish in the middle of the night without startling them and can even lift some species out of the water before they awaken. Tropical freshwater fish in home aquaria appear to be resting immediately after turning the lights on in a room that has been darkened for several hours. Unfortunately, fish have no eyelids so it is difficult to tell whether they are asleep or not.
Why We Sleep
No one knows for sure why creatures sleep. But there are two basic theories:
Sleep has a restorative function – It’s possible that sleep helps the body recover from all the work it did while it was awake.
Sleep has an adaptive function – It’s possible that they sleep in order to protect themselves or conserve energy. When fish move into their hiding places to rest, their body needs are lessened and they avoid getting eaten.
Different Strokes
Being asleep can mean different things to different fish. Some fish and amphibians reduce their awareness but do not ever become unconscious like the higher vertebrates do. Fish have time periods when they become less aware of their surroundings but their brain waves do not change, and they do not exhibit REM sleep. They aren’t quite asleep but they don’t seem to be fully awake either.

fishman830

great articles razor. when i watch my tank after lights out my perculas just move up and down .. my sailfin continually swims around the tank, my clarkii lays down on a rock, my blue hippo wedges himself between 2 rocks , my flame angel gets in the back of the tank, and my yellow tang just swims around

razoreqx

Thanks... There is just so much to find on the internet
My tank is on timers and the fish seem to know the schedule these days.. They bed down about 30 mins before the last actinic bulb turns off and by moonlight time there isnt a fish to be seen.. The whole community is gone :)
The crabs and snails take over at that point

T

tizzo

My percula used to hover in the top of the aquarium, now he actually sleeps on top of one of my powerheads, it's so cute!! He's still a baby, so everything he does is cute! But now after Razor's article I think I'm going to take a nap. All this talk of sleep. zzzzz:sleepy:

aftrhrs

My clowns have made a "bed" in the sand in the front corner of my tank. They settle down at lights out and are up by the time I get up and ready for work.

microman2k

my tomato always at night rests in the anemone but never sleeps, but my valentine once its lights are out, and then my lights are out he sleeps on the sand bed, i even have some pvc piping stuff in there for him to hide in cause i dont have anything in there yet, and he ignores and and sleeps in the sand, he sleeps when my lights are out and i go to bed and he wakes up when i wake up and turn on the lights (the tank is in me room):yes: