Don't know what to do

dipman6969

I have absoluetly no expierence with creating these besides making them at camp. I am excited about the fact that I can make a coral reef but I don't know what to do. What size tank do I get and for the size tank, what should I put in there. I think I am probably more interested in the invertebrates but I know if I put to much of one thing in, the ecosystem will collapse. I want to know what kind of filtration to use and where do I get the saltwater. Pretty much, everything. Food, lighting, # animals, the whole thing. Please respond.

drew2005

There is a ton of info to know and learn. I would suggest picking up a good book and read. Also go through the threads on this site its loaded with tons of info as well. There are too many ways to go with this hobby. Welcome and good luck!

snipe

The best thing to use is the Search button top of the page it will help you find everything your looking for.

S

sinner's girl

What size tank do I get and for the size tank, what should I put in there..
Go for the biggest tank you can afford and have room for.
I think I am probably more interested in the invertebrates but I know if I put to much of one thing in, the ecosystem will collapse.
You can do an invert only tank without a problem.
where do I get the saltwater. Pretty much, everything. Food, lighting, # animals, the whole thing.
You buy ro/di water, you buy salt from online your lfs and mix it.
Pretty much, everything. Food, lighting, # animals, the whole thing.
Okay, go buy a book, then come back and ask questions. Read post that are here. There is no one answer to this question. You can't just say 55gl, 7 fish, feed brine. Some fish don't get along, and some fish you can't put in smaller tanks. Fish eat different things to. Light will depend on what you want, if just fish, then regular lights are fine, if you want corals then you need different lights.
When you have a free day, leave the money and credit cards at home, and go to a few fish/pet stores. see what they have and what you like. DON'T buy anything. Be careful of what your lfs tells you, remember, they are trying to make money. When you have more specfic questions, come back and ask.
How much money and time do you have?

sw65galma

The biggest factor is cost... in SW my 15gal ended up costing me $700 opposed to my 180gal FW that cost me $700.00