Don't think skimmer is foaming like it should!!

jbird0420

Need some help please!!!!!
My Reef Octopus DNW-200 skimmer does not seem to produce and foam as much as I believe it should. I see foam in the neck of the collection cup and the sides of the cup get built up quick within a day or so.
I have it adjusted to where the water level is right underneath the collection cup (Red line indicates water level). It drains into a 2Liter collection container and at the end of the week when I empty the container, it's a quarter to half full at best. My question is should this skimmer be foaming more and filling that container up faster????

wolf_man

I heard that it needs to be broken in on new skimmers. Give it 3 weeks and then it will work like a charm.

jbird0420

I have a heavy bio-load. The tank is well stocked!
Filtration I have a 55g sump/refug. I have a couple of small bags of Purigen and some carbon in the flow area of the sump. I have Cheato and MACRO ALGAE RED GRACILARIA along with a crap load of copepods in the fuge area. Mag18 as my return flowing through a 40w Gamma UV back into the tank. The display is a custom 225g w/ dual overflows. One feeding into my Octo DNW-200 skimmer. The other feeds into a filter sock in the sump.
*Not good at photography! The pics below where taken about 2 months back when I set up the sump/refug. Since than I removed the plate and the bio-balls.*

joncat24

So, this skimmer has been running for 2 months??
If so, then it looks like you may need to raise the water level inside the skimmer just a bit.

jbird0420

Yes, the skimmer has been running just shy of 2 months. I closed the open gate valve a bit to raise the water level to the half way point on the neck of the collection cup. Also, I ran some hot, boiling RoDi water through the airline tube, to unclog any salt in the line.

joncat24

Did cleaning the air line out help?
It doesnt look like it is getting very much air injected. Have you mesh modded it? If not, that would be my next step. It is very inexpensive and a major improvement.

jbird0420

I cleaned the airline out. I had to extend the airline w/ a plastic straw. Flaw on this model but for some reason when the power is cutt off, the airline tube is not long enough,so it shoots out water. I had to fix that by extending the airline tube with a McDonald's straw to prevent this from happening in the future.
Have not modded it out yet, got any good sites you can point me to, too modd this bad boy??
Thanks!

joncat24

you can get airline at Lowes or Home depot, it is just vinyl tubing sold in the plumbing section.
Google meshmod for otp 3000 and you should find all the info you need, but all it is is taking off the top row of needles off of the needlewheel and securing two or three pieces of mesh to the remaining needles with fishing line or small zip ties.
The best mesh to use is enkamat 7210, it is flat on one side. Keep the flat side on the top and bottom which keeps the mesh from rubbing on the inside of the volute cover.
marine solutions is one place that carries the mesh

jbird0420

Thanks joncat!

I will check it out. Have you noticed a big difference with the mesh mod??
Originally Posted by joncat24
http:///forum/post/2883508
you can get airline at Lowes or Home depot, it is just vinyl tubing sold in the plumbing section.
Google meshmod for otp 3000 and you should find all the info you need, but all it is is taking off the top row of needles off of the needlewheel and securing two or three pieces of mesh to the remaining needles with fishing line or small zip ties.
The best mesh to use is enkamat 7210, it is flat on one side. Keep the flat side on the top and bottom which keeps the mesh from rubbing on the inside of the volute cover.
marine solutions is one place that carries the mesh