Don't you love rearanging the tank.....

blondenaso1

You know you are all guilty of this at one time or another in our hobby.....Your are in the LFS and they just got a new shipment of corals in. You pick out a beautiful acro colony and a decent sized frogspawn that you have been waiting for. Then it dawns on you.....where in the world do you plan on putting them in your tank. The salesman convinces you that "there is always room" and soon enough you are driving home trying to rearange your rockwork in your head. Well, this happened to me today. I went to the store for brine and water like I do on every Monday and ended up coming home with big acro colonies. After 2 hours of rearanging I finally had the tank the way I wanted it. We will see if all the corals like it, and I will post some pics when I get a chance.
Has this happened to anyone else??

cboyfan2020

no....what I love is when you big condy starts moving around and you have to clear a path for him and rearrange everything. That is what I call a good time!:D

hkgar

I have this problem with my LTA. When fully open he is about 9 inches across and has recently been on the move. I was constintly moving corals outt of his way. Finally set up a rock "fence" to keep him coralled.

richard rendos

I used to be bad about moving and rearranging my tanks but not in the last couple of years. Plus when you get SPS, they tend to attach themselves to the rock so you can't really move them.

aftrhrs

So far my tank is only half full of LR so I haven't had to re-arrange.
I did have to move a few rocks so I could catch my very large and very rabid emerald crab and put him in the sump before he killed the entire tank off.

blondenaso1

Do you really think that rearanging the tank will stunt the grow of corals? In nature, enviornmental conditions are constantly changing; water flow, light, temperature. I agree that moving a coral will force it to acclimate to its new placement in the tank. It would have to get use to a little more or less intense light or water flow. However, this could be a good thing. I have moved SPS corals to different places in the tank and they thrived even better, in some cases even changing to a more vibrant coloration. In a sense we are all artists and sometimes it takes a little work to move everything the way it looks and grows best. I could plan better, but you never know what will show up in the LFS at your next visit.
As to amenomies, I have a maroon clown that would love to have a bubble tip to play in, but I can't get over the fear that one day I will come home to find he has moved right in the middle of my acro colonies and killed them all :(

broomer5

Hey blondenaso1 ~ what's up man !!
I have a few corals that are doing well and I leave them be where they are. But it did take a few monthly moves to get them there in the first place - right.
Other individual corals - heck I move them around like chess pieces - trying new spots to see how they respond and how the tank looks.
That's part of the fun :p
I'm far from being maxed out - but my wallet is limiting my wants for awhile.

blondenaso1

Broomer, I know what you mean. My wallet is defianately the limiting factor in stocking my tank. With these last two additions I am pretty sure that I am done for a while (I know we always tell ourselves this), but I am suppose to be on a budget. I just couldn't pass this one up. :)