dork clown wont go into our anemone

seahorsecu

:help: ! Our dork tomata clown won't go inta our anemone. We have had our anemone and clown for a month or so and he is already happy and"settled". Are we doing something wrong, or is our clown mentaly stupid!!

alyssia

Their is no guarantee that clowns will host. I've had three clowns (different tanks) for almost a year, and only one of them hosts, but not in the anemone. It's hosting a feather duster.
What kind of anemone is it?

zanoshanox

If he is tank bred, he probably will never host. However the ones cought in the wild seem to much more often.

alyssia

Actually, I have two wild ones and one tank bred and my tank bred is the only one that hosts. Their is no guarantee either way.

dogstar

A pink tip haitian is not a natural hosting type anemone. They are not found in the same region of the world that Clowns are. It may even eat the clown if the clown tries to host it. Best to try a Hosting type anemone...

alyssia

Originally Posted by Seahorsecu
Alyssia, can I put you on my buddies list, you seem to know what you're doin

I don't mind, but I'm not sure if the buddy list thing works anymore.

mryoung7

good luck trying to get any clown to host a pink tip. if i'm not mistaken, that anemone is from the atlantic.
i've only heard of clarkii's hosting them on occasion. but i hope you have better luck with it.

chunks

Ive had more luck with damsels hosting in a pink tip.
Those anemones are from the atlantic, they dont naturally host any of the clowns

firedog

Clown fish don't host pink tips naturally, and you may have a hard time getting a clown to host at all.
As for tank bred clowns, they will host just the same as wild caught. Try posting some pictures of clowns hosting anemones on the sides of your tank ( facing into the tank, not at you!!). This has worked for my tank bred ocellaris. They started hosting my Bubble tips after about 4-6 weeks. There is a thread somewhere regarding this.
This seems to work for many people, but may not work for everyone. It helps to have the right clown and anemone. Get Joyce Wilerson's book on Clownfish. That lists most or all of the combinations of clowns and anemones. I don't have it here with me right now so I can't help.