down grading

dazed2040

If I downgrade from a 180gal to a 45gal would I be able to use all the equipment for the 180gal...return pump, return lines, overflow box..etc? I have asked this question before but I was thinking of going to a 100gal but since had an overflow that ruined my brand new hard wood floors
So in order for me to stay in the hobby I have to sacrifice the big tank but I talked the wife into letting me get something smaller

gypsana

You can get a gate or ball valve for the pump return line, but you are using way more power than needed. All the lines should be okay but if you do decide to get a smaller pump you may want to reduce you diameter of those lines. Not knowing exactly what you have it is hard to tell you for sure. As for an over flow , if I were you I would do a built in (like a Durso) this time around to eliminate the flooding problem. They are easy to build/install and well worth it IMO.

dazed2040

Originally Posted by gypsana
http:///forum/post/3085561
You can get a gate or ball valve for the pump return line, but you are using way more power than needed. All the lines should be okay but if you do decide to get a smaller pump you may want to reduce you diameter of those lines. Not knowing exactly what you have it is hard to tell you for sure. As for an over flow , if I were you I would do a built in (like a Durso) this time around to eliminate the flooding problem. They are easy to build/install and well worth it IMO.
Thats what I was thinking. My return lines are 1/2 inch the pump is a Pondmaster Pond-Mag 9.5/950gph, not sure on how many gph the overflow is...the drain tube is 3/4in.

bmkj02

plumbing shouldnt be an issue. I would get a valve though to adjust for the flow of the return.