Drain line size for closed loop

I'm making a closed loop with a Quiet One 9000. it's rated at 2300 gph max. I will have several return lines from the pump. What size/ how many drain lines should i use. the input is 1 1/2" and so is the return. They seem like pretty sweet little pumps. I hope the question is clear enough.

marcb

Originally Posted by kevinbeatzeus
http:///forum/post/2948995
I'm making a closed loop with a Quiet One 9000. it's rated at 2300 gph max. I will have several return lines from the pump. What size/ how many drain lines should i use. the input is 1 1/2" and so is the return. They seem like pretty sweet little pumps. I hope the question is clear enough.

Hmm, don't know if this will help, but here's how I ran my closed loop:
Started witha ReefloDart, has a 2" intake and a 1.5" outflow. My closed-loop has 2 1" bulkheads for outflow, and 2 1" bulkheads for return. I ran 1" flexible braided vinyl hose from both intake bulkheads into barbed fittings that mounted to a 2' PVC T-fitting. This went into a 2" section of pipe, then to the pump. I have in-line shutoffs in the Vinyl, and a union before the pump. This same set-up is done for the returns. I.e., a small section of PVC pipe, a union, then a tee and hose barb fittings to the vinyl.
Make sure to use shut-offs and unions for emergencies, repairs and upgrades in the future. Obviously the entire thing can be done in PVC, I just chose the vinyl for ease of installation. If you do use vinyl, DEFINITELY used the braided stuff, its far stronger and more durable.

veni vidi vici

For the most flow, increase pipe size on the suction and discharge side to 2" by using 1.5 x 2"reducers. And have at least 6 plus outlets.You can reduce the outlet pipes to 3/4" if you are using Loc-Line Modular hose.
This is from my experience building mine and help from others.I also used a head loss calc. to see what gives the best flow rates for yours.

Thanks. I also plan to use as many 45 degree angles as possible. So i should have 6 different returns from my pump. I was thinking 4. but 6 sounds better. i just want to make sure i don't spread it out too much, that it makes them all weak. I will use loclines for the returns that are drilled into the back of the tank, then i was thinking it would be cool to drill two return spot in the bottom on the tank in the front corners. I would point each one towards the back. your thoughts. my return pumps from my sump/refugium are a Rio 2500 and a rio 3100 they will be merged together before moving back into the display.

In the first picture, are the top three your drain lines to the closed loop pump? So you used 2" pvc with reducers for your intake to your DART? It's kinda hard to see what's going up and what's going down. Thanks for you help, i'm going to try to get six, but i bet your pump is pushing alot more water than 2300 gph? I'm not quite sure how strong it's going to be quiet one 9000. I've heard really good things about them but more along the lines, they're affordable, quiet, and wont really raise temp of water. No chiller on my reef. thanks again.

veni vidi vici

http:///forum/post/2950280
In the first picture, are the top three your drain lines to the closed loop pump? So you used 2" pvc with reducers for your intake to your DART? It's kinda hard to see what's going up and what's going down. Thanks for you help, i'm going to try to get six, but i bet your pump is pushing alot more water than 2300 gph? I'm not quite sure how strong it's going to be quiet one 9000. I've heard really good things about them but more along the lines, they're affordable, quiet, and wont really raise temp of water. No chiller on my reef. thanks again.
The top 3 Bulkheads are from my coast to coast overflow going down to my sump/refugium.
For my CL i have two 1-1/2" bulkheads and pipe going directly into a 2"Tee then over to my Dart,Off the discharge side i Immediately increased pipe to 2" going to the top of the tank and reduced down to 1-1/2' pipe for the manifold.At each of my 8 outlets i have 3/4" modular Loc-Line.This and also raising my Dart pump to tank level gave me the closest to the optimal 3600 gph i could without making the manifold 2" and taking up more lighting area that i was willing to sacrifice.
The bigger the pipe the less head loss,I know it sounds like the bigger the pipe the harder the pump has to work to push ,but it dosent work like that.Its just less restrictive.
Here is a better look at it.

Oh right on! that looks very clever. Thank you for taking the time to explain that. what kind of pump are you using for your return in your sump. sweet well i'm going to get at it, i'm putting together a really cool aquascape using eggcrate, foam, live rock and resin. I'll post some pics when I finish.

veni vidi vici

http:///forum/post/2950697
Oh right on! that looks very clever. Thank you for taking the time to explain that. what kind of pump are you using for your return in your sump. sweet well i'm going to get at it, i'm putting together a really cool aquascape using eggcrate, foam, live rock and resin. I'll post some pics when I finish.
Rio 3100.
Cool...cant wait to see the pics