dreaded tang/tank size

snipe

Alright yall im tired of seeing this about ppl saying tangs cant live in anything smaller than a 75 or 90 gallon tank. Alright yes I agree tangs get rather long and need a bigger tank as of course I wouldnt like being cramped in something small but look at the perspective of things here.
a 55gallon tank on average is 48" long and around 12 to 13" wide. Alright a 75 is still only 48" long and just a few inches wider and most of the 90gallon tanks you see out there are still only 48" long maybe a inch or so wider than the 75 and a few inches taller. So how in tank length are we really improving the space needed for a tang? Just something been resting on me and tired of hearing the ppl say I wont keep my tang in a 55 only a 75 or ninty when there tank is not got really anymore swimming space than the 55gallon tank lol.

cabin7882

I agree! I have a 46 gal bowfront with a tang and he is perfectly happy! I have had him for almost 2 years. But I agree that if he gets to big I will have to trade him in for a smaller one!

N

nereef

...which is why most of us say a 125, 6 foot tank is needed.

R

rcreations

A 10' long tank should be good enough. This way the Tang will be really happy. Or better yet, we can turn our swimming pool into a marine tank and put just 1 Tang in there so it has plenty of space to swim.

mscarpena

Tangs are extremely active fish and need a lot of swimming room. The minimum tanks sizes are just that, Very minimum. Also a 55 gallon tank is 12" wide and a 75 gallon tank is 18" wide. That gives them a lot more room to turn around and swim. A 55 gallon is 4 square foot of swimming room and A 75 has 6 sqquare foot.

ccampbell57

Seriously do we have to start these threads again!!!! I am getting sick of seeing the Tang debate every other day.

snipe

im being serious if you simply dont like seeing these threads then you simply keep your two cents to yourself and not reply to my post in the first place its pretty simply really.
But you must say when you honestly see ppl saying a fish wont live in a 55 gallon tank but it will in a 75 or even a ninety yes there is more gallon space and a bit more room but when you consider actuall inches there really isnt more space.
Again this is just my opinion if you dont like the discussion simply keep your two cents to your self no need in acting like jerks simply discusion.

ccampbell57

How is putting in our comments acting like jerks? All i was saying is that this topic is as played out and as bland as Vanilla Ice.
IMHO - placing a post up like this is trolling for people to get heated. People will never see eye to eye on this and that is fine. But you cant honestly put a post up with the subject "Dreaded Tang/tank Size" and expect us to keep quiet.

R

regina13

Snipe;2488256 said:
im being serious if you simply dont like seeing these threads then you simply keep your two cents to yourself and not reply to my post in the first place its pretty simply really.
But you must say when you honestly see ppl saying a fish wont live in a 55 gallon tank but it will in a 75 or even a ninety yes there is more gallon space and a bit more room but when you consider actuall inches there really isnt more space.
Again this is just my opinion if you dont like the discussion simply keep your two cents to your self no need in acting like jerks simply discusion.[/QUOTE
I really don't get what you want people to do if they disagree?
If you dont want them post then why did you post this thread? It is obviouly going to be a debated topic.
If they are jerks for expressing there opinion so are you. Just because they disagree with you doesnt make them jerks.

alyssia

Originally Posted by cabin7882
http:///forum/post/2487062
I agree! I have a 46 gal bowfront with a tang and he is perfectly happy! I have had him for almost 2 years. But I agree that if he gets to big I will have to trade him in for a smaller one!
Don't tangs experience stunted growth in tanks that are too small?

R

regina13

Originally Posted by alyssia
http:///forum/post/2488290
Don't tangs experience stunted growth in tanks that are too small?
Yes they do. That is another reason not to keep them in small tanks.

snipe

im not saying it as it can or cant be done. I know ppl will always do this.
But when you see expecially in the newb forum about ppl saying that the smallest tank size is a 75gallon and only then a yellow tang. And you see the same person saying that it wont live in a 55 its just like why are you saying that? the foot print is almost the exact same. Most what changes is height not length nor width. Just something to think about next time ppl are giving advice on when they say certain tanks size will work over others and the tank there suggesting really isnt any longer than the other tank there narking.
I still stand making off topic and rude comments to a post is not needed. Again as I said above no reason to be disrespectfull. I am just simply tired of reading about it and figured I would say something. If you do not like talking about this topic again like said before do not visit this thread its pretty well that easy.

snipe

and from my years of reading saltwater fish in tanks will not stunt there growth. That is the whole point on saying that fish needs a certain size tank. Saltwater fish have been in the ocean's for millions of years in a astonishing amount of space and they are pre programmed to grow to there full length. That is why ppl say they will out grow there tank and need a bigger one after so long or to place it in the appropriate size tank to begin with. Saltwater is not like freshwater in that area.
And believe me im not saying to keep them in a small tank at all im one for the bigger tank size for the bigger fish as that is what is needed for tangs imo as tangs in the wild are a shoaling fish swimming in schools in LARGE areas of the reef im just trying to clear up what there saying about this tank being bigger but not really any longer.