Dreaming about saltwater

kaiser

I'm thinking of starting a 29 gallon tank in the near future. I really like damsels (size, color, price, availibility).
1. I'd like to eventually have a reef tank, but I think I'll have to start my tank as a fish-only tank first. Is it possible to convert a fish-only tank to a reef tank?
2. I understand that damsels are angry fish. What assortment of damsels would you recommend? I'd really like to have a 2-striped damsel and a pair of blue devils.

oceanminded

If you want damsels go with the clown fish. If you want the sure enough damsels try the green or blue chromis....pretty mild fish of the damsel family.

austinreef

Originally posted by Kaiser
I take it that it's possible to convert a fish-only tank to a reef tank.

Absolutely!

:eek: Kaiser, The black domino that I had was a terror. Chased everything and could not seem to find his own terrritory. He wanted the whole 29 gallon tank. He wasn't happy and neither was anyone else!

sly

My favorite damsels are the Green Chromis. They're so cute! Get at least 6 of them so that they can school.
I had some blue damsels. Bad temper. One of them even nipped my arm while I was cleaning the tank. :rolleyes:
I had a yellow-tail damsel but the pansy couldn't hold his own against the blue damsels and it was killed in a week.:eek:
The blue damsels even killed each other until there was only one left. I put a panther grouper in there and he ate that blue damsel. :joy:
post edited due to language. Please refrain from use of foul language that many members find offensive.

kaiser

The green chromis doesn't really excite me. They look a bit like freshwater fish, and they're a little more expensive than their angrier cousins.
What about a striped/2-striped damsel and some yellow-tails?

johnny5

figi devil (neon blue) damsels have tons of personality, they are pretty aggressive tho and like to nest in the sand. They glow under actinics too.
Yellowtails are another damsel thats not bad on the eyes.
You could go with tank raised clownfish too (some are more docile than others).
To try and answer your questions tho:
1-The main red light I see when thinking about going from FO to FOWLR/reef is in the LR. If you were to buy cured LR locally, then you could probably get away with it. If you buy LR online, you will need to cure it seperately or it will cause your tank to cycle and that could kill everything in the tank.
2-I think it depends on the fish, get some that you like.. if they become a problem, take them back. Thats the beauty of damsels, they are cheap. :) Dont flush emm tho, take emm back. :sleepy:
NOTE: catching damsels in a tank with LR will take zen like patience and reflexes of a cat. You must be smarter than the fish.
Ohh and welcome to forum!
:happyfish :happy:
:happyfish

sly

Exactly. I have always had a hard time trying to catch mine. That's why I let my panther grouper eat my blue damsel. I couldn't get him out of the tank...:confused: