Drilled Aquarium question

mojohoojo

Hi, I was wondering i have a 30 Gallon project coming up and thinking in customizing the tank.
At the moment im planning to drill 2 holes about 1inch below the top rim of the DT. 1st hole (Left side) for the water to flow and drop down to the SUMP and the 2nd hole (Right Side) is for the Return Pump from the sump.
Question:
1. anyboody have any experience on this type of design?
2. do i have to make a customize overflow to skim enough water surface?
Thanks for the help guys!

mkzimms

Originally Posted by mojohoojo
http:///forum/post/2713471
Hi, I was wondering i have a 30 Gallon project coming up and thinking in customizing the tank.
At the moment im planning to drill 2 holes about 1inch below the top rim of the DT. 1st hole (Left side) for the water to flow and drop down to the SUMP and the 2nd hole (Right Side) is for the Return Pump from the sump.
Question:
1. anyboody have any experience on this type of design?
2. do i have to make a customize overflow to skim enough water surface?
Thanks for the help guys!

if you are doing a closed loop then you will only need to calculate your drain pipe size since you will not be skimming the surface. if you are doing an open loop that involves an overflow box then skimming the surface is all about linear flow. an overflow box will allow a large volume of water to flow into the box in a very thin layer. reducing how thick the water falling into the overflow box is increases the rate that the surface film is removed. it also dampens the sound of the falling water. you want about 11" of linear overflow per 700gph. ill shoot you a link you might want to take a look at.

dgonci

I bought an overflow and return kit from glass-holes dot com that came with the drill bi and everything you needed, overflow kit, bulkheads etc, for a fairly cheap price. The only thing I wish I would have done different would have been to place my return line higher up. Here is a link to my thread if you want to see some pictures:
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/

veni vidi vici

Glass -Holes is awesome ,i bought my bit and some of my bulkhead from them.However it is very very easy to make your own overflow and cheaper.

mojohoojo

Originally Posted by mkzimms
http:///forum/post/2713513
if you are doing a closed loop then you will only need to calculate your drain pipe size since you will not be skimming the surface. if you are doing an open loop that involves an overflow box then skimming the surface is all about linear flow. an overflow box will allow a large volume of water to flow into the box in a very thin layer. reducing how thick the water falling into the overflow box is increases the rate that the surface film is removed. it also dampens the sound of the falling water. you want about 11" of linear overflow per 700gph. ill shoot you a link you might want to take a look at.
Im leaning towards close loop WITHOUT overflow box. How big is the hole should be for a 30Gs?

mojohoojo

is it possible to do without the Overflow box? somehow i just dont like the hassle of installing one and can't get it where i come from.

mkzimms

for a closed loop you will probobly want to be at about 500gph. remember you will lose some gph when you put head on the pump like height and 90 degree bends. what type of tank are you doing? fish only or reef?

mojohoojo

Originally Posted by mkzimms
http:///forum/post/2713641
for a closed loop you will probobly want to be at about 500gph. remember you will lose some gph when you put head on the pump like height and 90 degree bends. what type of tank are you doing? fish only or reef?
Definately Reef. you mean 500GPH of the pump from the sump up to the DT? or The hole that drains the water from DT to Sump? if so how big is the hole should be? 1 3/4inch?
I found a few example in the internet. Pls refer to the pictures.

Without the Overflow box.
Sumthing like this!

rostato

I am sorry. I have been trying to find this thread!!!!
Anyway, it works pretty good. I have derso stand pipes so they are really quiet.
I have 2 pairs of each, one on either side.
The overflows are 1 in bulkheads with a 1in. 90 degree elbow. As you can see I have some fiberglass mesh covering the hole because I have found numerous snails and one peppermint shrimp stuck in my filter sock

The returns are 3/4in. bulkheads with about 12in. of loc-line coming out. I have them arched out of the water with a small hole drilled for a siphon break and a check valve to be safe.
If I had to do it all over again, I would not do a bulkhead for the return. I would just do a hang over the back return because I had a hell of a time getting the reverse siphon to break.
Other than that they are great. Just be sure to use some thread tape so that they don't leak through the threads and flood your sump

mojohoojo

Originally Posted by rostato
http:///forum/post/2717291
I am sorry. I have been trying to find this thread!!!!
Anyway, it works pretty good. I have derso stand pipes so they are really quiet.
I have 2 pairs of each, one on either side.
The overflows are 1 in bulkheads with a 1in. 90 degree elbow. As you can see I have some fiberglass mesh covering the hole because I have found numerous snails and one peppermint shrimp stuck in my filter sock

The returns are 3/4in. bulkheads with about 12in. of loc-line coming out. I have them arched out of the water with a small hole drilled for a siphon break and a check valve to be safe.
If I had to do it all over again, I would not do a bulkhead for the return. I would just do a hang over the back return because I had a hell of a time getting the reverse siphon to break.
Other than that they are great. Just be sure to use some thread tape so that they don't leak through the threads and flood your sump

Hi Mate! thanks for the advice really help me alot!~ anyways regards to the small hole you drill for the siphon break, when the return pump is pumping wont water spits out from the hole!?

rostato

Yes, that's why you have it just out of the water so it spray's onto the side of the tank glass. I can take a pic and maybe a vid if you like...