Drilling a tank

reeferdawg

has anyone done it and do you have any pointers . the do's and don'ts and what kind of equipment i will need to do it and how not to break it and keep it strong. :notsure:

gamma

Do a search, not too long ago there was a very long thread about drilling tanks with pics of tools and lots of details on the how to's.
The back of the tank (if not tempered) can be drilled.
Good luck

jakebtc

I have a 65 gal aga with a tempered bottom and had it drilled at a local glass shop for like 25 bucks, and later remade my sump "20 Gallon tank" and had it drilled for like 15$. If your not planning on doing it a few times no need spending big money on diamond coated drill bits "saws" But you won't get a guarantee from the glass company that drills it. and u void the warranty from the company that makes the tank if not drilled by one of thier authorized retailers but a glass shop does pretty well with glass :) then just get a bulkhead fitting and run your hose off that. takes less tank space then an overflow box but also may be a tad bit louder make sure u have them place it as close the the top as possible so as to not have a visible water line when set back up

jakebtc

bits and whatever end up costing at least 50$ and u have no experience u also have to keep the hole lubed and take it slow

saltfan

Just buy an overflow box, this will stay all your worries on breaking the glass, and voiding a warranty.

jakebtc

then u have to worry about the good ole' water on the floor routine if u dont have an adeqautely sized sump. drilled tanks are the best way to go let gravity do the work without the problem of a siphon if u cant drill the bottom u can almost always drill the back good route and not very expensive at all

saltfan

Not really bro, overflows don't do that. You hve to drill a couple small holes just below the return line in the tank, and your set, it acts the same as having a drilled tank, trust me on this. If you can't drill b/c you have tempered glass, the over flow is just the same as, only difference is, you can see the box.

nytrillium

You can drill the side glass, that is 99% of the time not tempered. I did my first hole not too long ago https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=198504 and it wasnt hard at all. If you have a dremel tool you can get the diamond burrs for less than $10. Its not that expensive. And if you dont have a dremel... well now heres your excuse to buy one .

I drilled my hole near the top so i could do an overflow without having to put in a box. It is a 20 gal long that is set to be my fuge. It is currently holding 40 lbs of LS and 45 lbs LR that cycled in it. I plan on drilling my DT when i take it down to move it to the new stand. Hope that helps you.
That post has the pics of drill bits used too.